Speedo broke

Was driving, and suddenly the speedo went from highway speed to zero, and now it's stuck at zero.

I'm thinking to first check where it's held on at the t-case, then check the gear on the t-case, then make sure it's all good behind the gauge cluster.

This sound good or is there something more common?

'86 2.5 auto, full gauges.

The cable itself may have broken. Back when mechanical speedometers were the only game in town, JC Whitney used to sell universal cable replacements. They never put something in their catalog that people didn't need ... often.

check the little connector betwwen the t-case output and the rest of the speedo cable.

I cought mine on a rock in uwharrie, did the same thing.

Put the cable back together and it's been held in place with a hose clamp for 8 months now, works fine.

Haven't had the chance to check it out with our thunderstorms yet, but I got a replacement cable from the dealership for $34 months ago.

It was labelled CruCbl or something, so the guy at the parts desk and I agreed that it was the cruise control cable, which I needed, but when it arrived, it was the speedo cable. They had a no return policy on special orders, No exceptions (dicks), so if it did break, I've got a new one. Didn't realize that was common though.