Spare Tire Hoist Repair

I fixed the hoist for the spare tire today.  Not a bad job got lucky that I didn't have bad rust...

The removal is pretty straight forward.

Here is the disassembled hoist.  Drilled and ground the 4 rivets and split the case.

x2de48A.jpg

Here is the spool for the cable. I used a crimped aluminum cable stop to terminate the end in the spool and hammered (beat) it in place.

9ZbFgTh.jpg

Here is  the repaired spool ready for assemble.  I used 4 ft of new cable and stainless hardware (1/4 x 1 1/2) from Lowe's - $10.  I had a piece of pipe and a stainless steel eye bolt to use on the tire end of the cable along with two stainless steel cable clamps. Greased everything and put it back together.

M15xLHL.jpg

Here is the finished product: Ta Da....

184pyUB.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was a bit late to fixing my hoist. I was going 50 down a side road when the cable snapped. Luckily noone was behind me, and I didn't even realize it until I looked in the rearview and saw a tire in the middle of the road, figured I would have seen something like that if it was already there, haha. Now I just let it rot in the bed. 

• 1 year later...

I did this repair, IMHO if you gonna do it, take it apart and do it right....cable clamps...really? :rotf:

I second the ratchet strap idea (I do this), don't like the idea of relying on a single cable to secure my spare.

And lastly, I used the pipe idea on the end of my cable, now I have 4 nice matching sawblades instead of 5, suggest finding correct center piece so you don't ruin a wheel (aluminum) like I did.