71 Javelin Sst

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiding them, since 71 javelins tail ligts are rare, I can't afford to loose them. Although I have a NOS pair but they are getting to expensive. I have everything except for a few interior pieces, Its just getting all the trim holes filled, and body work. Other than that its a complete car, just removing some of the exterior trim. 

• 1 month later...

Unless you already have the 401, you might consider building a 360. The 401 is difficult to obtain and as you already found out, expensive to build. A nice compromise would be a 360 street/strip build. Plenty of AMC 360 motors are available and there is a large supply of aftermarket items for the 360.

P.S.  I own a 70 Javelin with a 304-4bbl, automatic. I more than happy with the performance for cruising and attending local car shows. I have a 360 Engine sitting in the shadows waiting rebuild. I researched my options and eventually decided against a 390 build ( due to high costs) & realized that I could obtain almost the same objectives with the 360.

• 4 weeks later...

i already have a 401, the 360 i have is going into an AMX. 401parts a not that hard to obtain, its all in just where you look. Plus AMC v-8 are all the same size block. My 401 is gonna be a big street strip car, there is a guy that has an 401 supercharged running 16.5 lbs of boost with almost 950 horses. His AMX was running 9.00 sec 1/4 mile. 

Look at Summit Racing, they have a lot of performance parts for AMC.

I stash AMC parts like a squirrel stashes nuts. I have a lot. 

70 javelin, sounds like a nice one, is it completely restored? Got any pics?  :brows:

• 5 months later...

Wow,

what are the chances of us having THREE 1971 Javelins here?!

71's aren't that common even on the AMC boards

I think its awesome that you are finishing your dads car,

good luck!

If I can get anything meaningful done to mine I'll start a thread of my own this summer

Oh Its still gonna look somewhat stock, they have superchargers that don't stick out of the hood. Its gonna have some AMX Javelin parts on it. Its gonna be street strip car. something  I can still drive around, but still kick some ones butt at racing.  

Nothing wrong with stuff sticking through the hood :yes:

Plans for mine right now are to put together a 401 so I can pull a taller rear gear & make it more highway friendly.....

but I have a flat hood stashed away so I can cut a hole for this some day :D

(the one in the middle :) )

They are rare.  What model do you have(AMX, SST, Base)?  I'd love to see any pictures or updates on either of yours.  I will post some of mine when I get it back from paint.  I might even show some of my previous progress for kicks.  Right now I'm refurbing the tail lights. :yes:

They are rare.  What model do you have(AMX, SST, Base)?  I'd love to see any pictures or updates on either of yours.  I will post some of mine when I get it back from paint.  I might even show some of my previous progress for kicks.  Right now I'm refurbing the tail lights. :yes:

Mine is a 71' Javelin AMX

cowl hood, P-code 360/4bbl, 4spd 3.91's, twin grip w/go package.

It's an April 71 car, so not early enough for the high compression heads.

Originally it was Green on Green,

but my little brother painted it Trans Am Red for me as his Senior project, in 1991.

I swapped the Green interior out for a 71' Black Leather interior about the same time.

It has 99k miles, the original 360 is tucked away at the moment,

theres a +.030 forged piston 360 in there right now,

decent General Kinetics cam, Torker, 750 Holley, Dual point Mallory & cheap headers.

I've had it since 1990, last registered in 1995.

It was my daily driver back then, but 27" tires & 3.91 gears with no overdrive got old.

I plan to swap in a 3.55 rear, with a mild 401 so it will be a little more highway friendly.

I just want to get it back on the road, my son's been asking me to for the last 4 years :yes:

Details on yours?

And that steering wheel, is going. gonna try to get one from another AMC style wheel that I like.

The steering wheel is actually really cool,

I'm pretty sure 71' was the last year for it..

If you want to trade it for something, let me know.

I think there's a black 3 spoke wheel & cap tucked away here someplace

I also have a 71 AMX, but mine is an Auto P code 360.

Mine is a Go-Pak as well.  Quicksilver with the spoilers and twin canopy vinyl.

I'm not sure on the month the moment but I know it's not an early production 71

I do have the snorkle and cowl hood.  I also picked up an early year center console and the arm rest.

I plan on doing a 401 4 speed swap at some point.  I already have headers, a Ford 9(previous owner), and a 1970 390 intake.

Right now I just habe to work on the interior and brightwork when it comes back from paint.

It's an orignial black interior with the cordoroy seats, but I have collected a Pierre Cardin Interior to drop in.

I usually attend the AMC shows and meets around like Sturbridge as well.

Time wise:  I think mine has been off the road about as long with 130k on the clock.

I've had it for 8 years and I AM that son who bugged his father to get it on the road.  I've taken over at this point, though both my father and grandfather help me with it.

Sorry I haven't been on in a while.

How ever I have been working on the car. I have an extra 304 that I have taken apart and am getting ready to get back together, ill get pics up soon. I am currently trying to get a 4 barrel intake manifold for it. Other than that, all I have to do is turn the crank and get new bearings and piston rings.

I'm trying to see if I can get a quarter panel to fix one side. I've got doors, hood, and fenders I'm doing bodywork on.

I'll be taking the steering wheel off soon. I'll try to tell you guys if I do something with it.

An where in the world can you get a high rise, or dual carb manifold?

4 barrel intakes are around.  Iron intakes are easy to find becasue most people switch to something like the edlebrock torker intake which is lighter and should flow better.

Quarter panels they do reproduce.  I had to replace both of my inner and outer quarters and rockers.  Originals do pop up occasionally, mostly as parts cars.

High rise dual intakes are rare and expensive.  The last one I saw was at the national meet in sturbridge, ma.   I'll keep an eye out for you.