1986 MJ, 4WD. I believe I already know the answer to this but hoping against hope there's a better way. I'm swapping the header panel for one off a '88Wagoneer. I was going to remove it anyway to get more working room swapping engines. It looks like the 2 bolts on each side goes thru the fender into the header. and not thru the header into the fender like on later models. Do I have to remove the inner fender liners to get to them? I'm also swapping in a '97 Vortec for the 2.8. which is now air cooled, thanks to the rather large hole in the oil pan. Since the Vortec has the Chevy bolt pattern, I'm also swapping the AX5 for a '95 5speed and transfer case from a '95 S10. Making up for any misfits with the drive shafts. It's hot here. Had to quit and take a break. Right now I just need help on the removal of the header.

Being an '86, the header panel is different than the '87-'90. But I am sure you already knew that!

That said, I found it to be a royal pain in the rear to remove the header panel on my '86. If I remember, there are a couple of studs mounted to the header that go through the fenders that have nuts attached to them. Those nuts need to be removed and are at the front/top of the fender and accessible from the opening between the fender and wheel well in front of the front tires. 

Being an '86, the header panel is different than the '87-'90. But I am sure you already knew that!

I didn't BEFORE i started. I do now. One thing that made it kind of hard to figure it out is it got damaged while removing the old engine. I had the engine raised with the cherry picker and it wouldn't quite clear the header panel. I had the GF hook her truck up to the back of the MJ and as she pulled it backwards I was going to lift the transmission up over the panel Her idea of 'take it easy' was floor board it and go. The engine caught the panel tearing it out on one side and I couldn't really figure out how it had been attached.