Oil Smells Like Gas!!

Hey guys, just got my comanche a few days ago, and noticed the oil smells like gas and it gets pretty bad mpg for the 2.5l i4 5 speed. I'm talking has to be getting like 12 mpg and that was highway driving. I changed the oil and drove it home from 30 miles away, got home checked the oil and it was fine, just smelled like gas... It also is leaking oil into the air filter. However, it is not smoking and it doesn't seem to be having get up and go issues because it feels good compared to my mom's minivan hahaha. All that being said, can someone give me some ideas of what it might be and how to fix it, be aware I am a newbie and I don't really know much about cars yet, hoping to change that as time goes on. thanks!

so, going to be taking it over to my friends dad place to get it checked out, if worse comes to worse and the piston rings are shot... I am gonna be looking for a rebuild kit, any recommendations on the rebuild kit? Eventually I am gonna rebuild it so might as well get the info now lol.

If it is an early model with a mechanical fuel pump, you have a hole in the pump diaphragm.

The only MJ with a mechanical fuel pump is an 86 with a 2.8.

Money. I think he's got just that config. Worth checking out.

If it is an early model with a mechanical fuel pump, you have a hole in the pump diaphragm.

Except he specified 2.5 and his signature says 1991..

Except he specified 2.5 and his signature says 1991..

Reading comprehension: it's not just for first graders anymore!