Truetrac Dana 44 Questions (I'm An Axle Idiot)

Few quick questions. Ok might not be so quick.

Back Story: Had a mini spool in my rear axle. Was driving me crazy so pulled it. Found out it was a limited slip and a couple of my clutch plates were cracked, ordered the wrong spider gears (got for an open diff) and the guy that put the locker in before me didnt install the right parts. Now my rear axle clanks every tire rotation just like it did with the mini spool. Basically I took half @$$ parts since I didnt have anything else and tried to make it work. So, wrong spider gears / cracked clutch plates / open diff

What I need help with is finding a way to put in a Detroit locker. I'm guessing I need to get a new clutch plate set http://www.ebay.com/itm/708203-Dana-44-Chrysler-9-25-Trac-Lok-Clutch-Disc-Plate-Kit-/360630867385?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f74655b9&vxp=mtr

Detroit locker for TrueTrac http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Dana-44-Rear-TrueTrac.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101501&t_pn=EAT913A589

Now I'm sorry for the stupid questions but the detriot locker should replace the (wrong) spider gears right? I'm guessing since the spider gears and mini spool didnt fit correctly in the limited slip carrier its causing the constant clanking in my rear axle? Thank you for the education on axles and if I'm missing anything please let me know! 

The true trac replaces the spider gears, but also the entire differential carrier. The only things reused are the pinion and ring gears. But since the carrier gets replaced, the gears need to be setup again, so you need a new master install kit. Since setting up used gears is a pain in the a$$, most shops will not do it. So add another $200 for gears plus shop labor and you're looking at over $1000.

Cheaper to find another D44.

That e-Bay listing says it's for a Dana 44 and a Chrysler 9-1/4" axle. I don't know if both of those differentials use the same rebuild kits. I suppose it's possible, but I sort of doubt it. I'd suggest shopping at a place that knows Jeeps, such as Quadratec.

If your Dana 44 carrier housing isn't broken, I don't see why you can't rebuild it. The Jeep parts manual confirms that the spider gear set for a TracLoc is different from the spiders for an open diff, but the right parts should just drop right in.

The other point is that your entire post is confusing. You don't have a TrueTrac. You have (or had) a TracLok, which was the factory limited slip differential. A TrueTrac is a gear-driven limited slip differential made by the Detroit Locker people, but it's not as noticeable driving on the street. It does not use clutches, so it doesn't require additives for the gear lube. Your second listing is not a "Detroit Locker for a TrueTrac," it is a listing for a TrueTrac differential. It's a great choice for street-driven vehicles that don't see hard-core off-road use, but it isn't a locker -- it's a limited slip. I have one in my '88 MJ and for my use and driving style it's ideal. But prices have gone up a lot. I paid around $350 for mine. It's now nearly $500, and on top of that you'll need an "install kit" (shims and bearings), and you'll have to pay someone to install it since you apparently don't know how to set up a differential.

Overall, I think it would be worthwhile trying a rebuild on your Dana 44 TracLok unit before doing anything else.

That e-Bay listing says it's for a Dana 44 and a Chrysler 9-1/4" axle. I don't know if both of those differentials use the same rebuild kits. I suppose it's possible, but I sort of doubt it. I'd suggest shopping at a place that knows Jeeps, such as Quadratec.

If your Dana 44 carrier housing isn't broken, I don't see why you can't rebuild it. The Jeep parts manual confirms that the spider gear set for a TracLoc is different from the spiders for an open diff, but the right parts should just drop right in.

The other point is that your entire post is confusing. You don't have a TrueTrac. You have (or had) a TracLok, which was the factory limited slip differential. A TrueTrac is a gear-driven limited slip differential made by the Detroit Locker people, but it's not as noticeable driving on the street. It does not use clutches, so it doesn't require additives for the gear lube. Your second listing is not a "Detroit Locker for a TrueTrac," it is a listing for a TrueTrac differential. It's a great choice for street-driven vehicles that don't see hard-core off-road use, but it isn't a locker -- it's a limited slip. I have one in my '88 MJ and for my use and driving style it's ideal. But prices have gone up a lot. I paid around $350 for mine. It's now nearly $500, and on top of that you'll need an "install kit" (shims and bearings), and you'll have to pay someone to install it since you apparently don't know how to set up a differential.

Overall, I think it would be worthwhile trying a rebuild on your Dana 44 TracLok unit before doing anything else.

Sorry I was half asleep when I posted last night. I have a dana 44 with LSD. The limited slip is pretty much gone since it doesnt have the correct spider gears. I'm not entirely sure how it works but when my buddy took out the mini spool he told me some of the clutch plates were cracked and the retaining clip one side was broken. Then when we dropped in the gears they didnt fit snug since they were made for an open diff. Same thing with the mini spool. The gap in size is causing the rear end to clank and pop. 

I was mixing up stock "Trac Lok" with the Detriot "TrueTrak". My carrier as far as I was told is fine. The reason I'm so interested in this is for one I would like to have a half decent locker in that I can use for a daily driver and the detriot is what most people suggested. Getting another Dana 44 is damn near impossible here since Hawaii has $#!&e for junk yards and everything here is gutted for Toyotas. I was thinking about stepping it up to a ford 8.8 but I have the alloy shaft upgrade in my rear end. But if dropping in a detroit is going to cause me to have to regear and what not then its not worth it. don't have the money or the time to do that since I'm getting stationed back in the mainland soon. Just sucks I'm going to have to drop almost as much cash getting new spider gears and clutch plate as I would for a locker.    

Damn sorry I linked the wrong detriot : http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Dana-44-Detroit-Locker.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101501&t_pn=EAT187SL16D

Sorry I was half asleep when I posted last night. I have a dana 44 with LSD. The limited slip is pretty much gone since it doesnt have the correct spider gears. I'm not entirely sure how it works but when my buddy took out the mini spool he told me some of the clutch plates were cracked and the retaining clip one side was broken. Then when we dropped in the gears they didnt fit snug since they were made for an open diff. Same thing with the mini spool. The gap in size is causing the rear end to clank and pop. 

I was mixing up stock "Trac Lok" with the Detriot "TrueTrak". My carrier as far as I was told is fine. The reason I'm so interested in this is for one I would like to have a half decent locker in that I can use for a daily driver and the detriot is what most people suggested. Getting another Dana 44 is damn near impossible here since Hawaii has $#!&e for junk yards and everything here is gutted for Toyotas. I was thinking about stepping it up to a ford 8.8 but I have the alloy shaft upgrade in my rear end. But if dropping in a detroit is going to cause me to have to regear and what not then its not worth it. don't have the money or the time to do that since I'm getting stationed back in the mainland soon. Just sucks I'm going to have to drop almost as much cash getting new spider gears and clutch plate as I would for a locker.    

Damn sorry I linked the wrong detriot : http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Dana-44-Detroit-Locker.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101501&t_pn=EAT187SL16D

You don't HAVE to use new gears when installing a locker. Some people do, but in general I've only seen it done when the owner is changing the gear ratio. The TrueTrac in my '88 MJ was installed with new gears because I went from a 3.07 ratio to 3.73, but when the factory TracLok wore out in my '88 XJ I replaced it with a new TracLok and used the original gears. That was over 100,000 miles ago, and there have been no problems. If you don't replace the ring and pinion, all you have to do is set the ring gear backlash to match what it was and you should be good to go. However, in your case that's not possible because your diff has been apart twice. So in your case you would use gear marking compound and look to duplicate the wear pattern that's on the ring gear teeth.

I have no idea why you need a locker in Hawaii. Lockers are not street friendly. A limited slip seems to me to be a far better solution in a truck that's going to be regularly driven on the street. It'll be quieter, and your tires will last longer. I happen to like the factory TracLok limited slips. If you needed only the clutch pack, I'd say to go for that and call it good. However, the cost for the clutch pack is now approaching $100. You also need a complete spider gear package, and I have no idea what the cost for that would be, or how easily available it is.

IMHO the best and most cost-effective solution for you would be a TrueTrac. It has its own internal gears so you won't have to replace the D44 spiders, and it's quiet on the street. Under other circumstances I would have suggested just buying a complete new TracLok unit, which would be cheaper than a TrueTrac, but that would require buying new spider gears, so the final cost in your case might not be any different (or might even be more).

Theres some pretty good trails out here. Nothing crazy but you're absolutely right. Its 90% on the road. I just googled best locker for DD and Detriot came up a lot. I'll look into what options I have. Clutch plates are a must if I'm going to keep it either LSD or open diff. If I do decide to lock it I'll just go big and regear from my 3.07 crappy ($*% (*%*#@ gear ratio lol. Not my idea was on there when I bought it lol.