Dash Lights Converted To L.e.ds

I did this to my XJ...along with the white gauge faces.  It worked out great EXCEPT the high beam indicator. After I drove it a few times when dark I noticed that that one blue light shined directly in my face and was kind of blinding, way too bright for me.  I removed it and replaced it with a regular bulb. 

So all the other lights, since they shine on the side of the gauge and not directly at your face, work out fine.  Also FYI, they do not dim down gradually as well as incandescent bulbs.

I put the white face gauges on my 88 along with the leds.  Where I bought them supplied me nine leds and IIRC there's twelve bulbs back there.  Had I switched out all twelve I would have a problem with the high beams and turn signals.  But since I left those three incandescent, I'm satifisfied with my upgrade.

So the dimmer that is on there now won't adjust the led brightness?

The dimmer on the regular headlight switch does work. It will go from bright to mid range to off, it just seemed a little choppy, like in levels, not a smooth transition. 

I just keep it on the highest setting, I never really use the dimmer anyway.  It good to know that someone else was bugged by the brightness of the hi-beam light, and that it's not just my eyes.

Yes, they are bright, but in no way overwhelming at night.  They can't really be dimmed, which is not an issue to me.  The LED bulbs themselves are hand made by yours truly. :yes:   The white overlays are brought to you by http://jeepwhitegauges.com/index-xj.htm.  When I made the LED bulbs, I used two 5mm blue LEDs in series with a resistor (whose value is to be calculated based on the current needs and voltage drop of the LEDs).  Sorry if I'm getting too technical, but that's what I did and it came out great.  I also have custom built LED front turn signals and rear tails.  Also did a set of Jeep 2500 tail lights for a buddy of mine for his XJ.