Clutch Slipping?

Drove out a few towns over to do some errands today. On the way back (driving about 55-60) I stopped like normal at a red light. Everything seemed fine; I took off and stopped at the next red light (about a mile or two down, same speed as before) and I noticed a squeal (almost like a small squeak) coming from under the truck.

Put my foot on the clutch pedal and noticed it had a slight rumble; pushed it to the floor and the rumble and squeal went away. Let go of the pedal and the squeal and rumble returned, but it isn't affecting how the truck idles or drives.

Got home and checked under the truck, sure enough, the sound is coming from the AX-4. Layed under the truck with a friend pushing in and releasing the pedal, same symptoms.

Is the clutch slipping? Flywheel coming loose? This just started today; had the clutch replaced a little over a year ago.

- -

Another odd problem is that when I go to put it in reverse, no matter how much gas I give, the truck will shimmy back and forth like it's getting ready to stall out (irregardless of how I work the clutch / gas). Problem may be related? That particular problem started a few months ago, but seems to come and go as it pleases.

sounds like your pilot bearing is wearing a bit on your clutch fingers,

it should go away,

if you think its your clutch slipping stop on a hill and put it in 1st,

if your clutch is strong you won't lurch back, if its slipping youll roll back down so be ready on the brakes

I'm not too sure about the reverse issue tho

I've driven two vehicles with clutches beginning to slip, and they generally start to slip in the higher gears.

The symptoms you described could be the throwout bearing (I'm sure that's what manchekid meant), but the reverse thing concerns me. I would check to see if the pressure plate bolts are coming loose. You should be able to get in there and check the bolts/see is the pressure plate moves at all by popping the starter out. Unfortunately you won't be able to really inspect everything without yanking the trans.

Thanks for the info guys; if it's worth anything, the reverse problem doesn't seem to occur until the truck warms up. If I start it in the morning, the reverse gear acts completely normal. I'll continue to monitor the symptoms to see if anything changes (can't yank the trans at the moment, unfortunately) If the symptoms continue, I'll yank it and have a reliable mechanic I do business with look at it.