4 Wheele Drive Working???

so guys, how can i tll if my front drive is engaged? haven't had it off the pavement yet and don't wana do it on dry road. i have pulled the lever into all positions but can't tell if it's goin in. will the front shaft spin if in 2wd? if so, and the wheels aren't turning, what next? what is the cad and does my 87 2.5 have one? there is no light comming on the dash but bulb could be blown.

CAD is Central Axle Disconnect. Its the big hump with the vacuum actuator on the long side of your D30. The front drive shaft always spins but doesn't have torque applied to it until you shift into either 4 hi or 4 lo, same with the axle shafts.

Pull the plate (4 bolts) and take a look. Chances are the aluminum fork that actuates the sleeve is broken so it cannot connect the two axle shafts and its not going into 4wd. There are lots of kits out there to use a cable to pull it manually. But they're really not worth it. You can add some washers to act as shims to lock the sleeve over both axle shafts. It doesn't hurt anything to do that.

If your 4wd was engaging, you should feel some tension or binding when turning sharp corners in 4wd. Go to a parking lot and try a couple of figure 8s. If it acts like 2wd, then something is wrong. Either the fork is broken or you have a vacuum leak and its not going in 4wd.

Cool Gremlin btw.

Have you looked at the TC linkage? Does the "feel of the wheel" change when you try to engage it. You can drive it on pavement to test it out...just not for long and not too fast.

I agree that the CAD fix is the way to go if you can't get it to work. When I did mine it took me less than an hour, including cleaning it all up and slapping a coat of paint on it.

BUT...fixing it NOW may be as simple as finding one or more vacuum tubes to the CAD servo that could be disconnected...or broken. The switch for the 4x4 light is also vacuum actuated so if the light isn't coming on it's likely that some...or all the lines are disconnected or that the vacuum switch on the transfer case is broken/missing etc.

Time to crawl underneath and check it out.