Changed Out Fuel Injector O-Rings, New Problem

So I found a problem with smelling gas when the truck is running and I traced it to the first fuel injector. I was about to get everything taken apart and put new rings on it. Now when I turn the truck on there is a very loud hissing coming from the engine and there seems to be vapor/smoke coming from the port of injector 4. Not sure what I did wrong but if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

After some snooping around I found that there is a tear in the connection hose that is located on the top of the engine that is forward of the oil cap, not sure if that is the source of the hissing but I'm sure that can't be good. If anyone knows what that part is called so I can try to replace it that would be awesome.

CZnxfVwl.jpg

Renix Vacuum Harnesses

The vacuum harness that attaches to the front of the valve cover and includes the grommet/fitting, and is called the front harness, is Napa part number BK 715-1367

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7151367_0269070623

The vacuum harness that is closest to the air cleaner, EGR etc, and is called the rear harness, is Napa part number BK-715-1366.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7151366_0269070622

The tube from the rear of the valve cover to the intake manifold is part number 715-1365.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7151365_0066877355

Revised 09-11-2012

That is your PCV hose (pressured cranckcase ventalation). This is there to relieve pressure that builds up in the crankcase. That air coming form the crankcase goes directly to your air box to then go right back into your engine. That air is just pressured air (not high pressure) coming from the enigine. Not a big deal and does not hurt anything or your performance..

The thing circled is the valve cover vent. If it it clogged it may be venting fumes

Wrong

That is your PCV hose (pressured cranckcase ventalation). This is there to relieve pressure that builds up in the crankcase. That air coming form the crankcase goes directly to your air box to then go right back into your engine. That air is just pressured air (not high pressure) coming from the enigine. Not a big deal and does not hurt anything or your performance..

Also wrong.

The hose circled in red in the picture is the Crank Case Ventilation System (CCVS) fresh air inlet. This hose should have a slight vacuum on it, because the REAR line hooked to the valve cover is hooked to vacuum on your intake manifold. The rear line is hooked to manifold vacuum in order to pull positive pressure and oil fumes from inside the valve cover into the intake where they can burn up with normal combustion. The hose circled in red is the fresh filtered air inlet, to normalize the pressure inside the valve cover. It should NOT be pushing fumes/oil out, it is hooked to the air filter to allow for a filtered fresh air inlet for the CCVS system. If it is puking oil fumes into the air filter, the rear orifice on the valve cover (hooked to vacuum) is clogged or not hooked up correctly.

Again, the part circled in red is not a "vent" or "pcv valve"... is is a fresh air inlet for the CCVS and needs to be hooked to your airbox or some other source of fresh filtered air.

As far as the OP goes, make sure you hooked all the vacuum lines up correctly, and make sure you didn't damage this inlet. The inlet on the CCVS may puke oil/fumes out and make noise if you did not hook up the rear line on the valve cover to manifold vacuum.

I can't tell you how many XJ's and MJ's I've seen where these parts are "buggered up" due to the previous owner not understanding how this system works, or not caring. If it's not working correctly, you can have issues like a high idle (vacuum leak), an oil clogged air filter, a constant burnt oil smell in the cab or outside the rig, and in extreme cases you can blow out valve cover gaskets if too much pressure builds inside (like if you plugged both valve cover holes).