tire swaperoo

Pete M

So, since the 86 doesn't move much of anywhere these days and it's wearing probably $400 in almost brand new tires/rims, I figured I'd swap my craptastic set of 31s (with the even crappier steelies) to it from the 90 and then the 90 will just run the 31" MTRs all the time.

I can safely say that it is not advised to run 31s on the stock 15x6 steelies without also swapping in WJ lower control arms. That is, unless you're comfortable with either giving up a good chunk or your turning radius or letting the tires beat themselves silly on the control arms. Probably wouldn't be so bad with aluminum rims which would push the tire outboard by another half inch. Best bet is still to swap in the bent WJ arms.

Maybe I should expand my signature to keep everything straight. The red 88 has the 33" trXus (and a couple 33" boggers for trail use :D ), the white 86 now has 31" blahs, and the dark gray 90 has 31" MTRs. Around the house I generally refer to them by color, which is why the 90 is a "dark gray" rather than simply black, the Dakota is black. In the sunshine it really is a shade of gray, I swear! :D (Although it's been in the garage for a long time and in that relative darkness I have a real difficult time convincing people of that.)

Tires only? Condition needed? Price range?

Oh, and I found the WJ arms on ebay. I think they cost me a whole $25. But I seem to have been exceedingly lucky since they were the fist ones I saw and I didn't see any for a while after them.