Odd Sounds From 242

yesterday i finally swapped front axles on my MJ. and i was finally able to hook up the front drive shaft as well as put it into full-time 4wd. and it makes a odd clanking sound whenever i turn...

last year sometime my stock BA-10 /w 231 died (the TC was fine)

I replaced the old transmission and TC with an AX-15 / 242, i drove it home with the stock axles (D30 with CAD locked and D35 with 3.07 gears) it had the same strange sounds.

I locked the cad to the open position and the sounds stopped.

so i replaced the front and rear axles to a non cad D30 and a D44 with 3.55 gears. and hooked up the 4wd and it makes the same sounds.

before i put the new D30 on i checked the gears for cracks and broken teeth, it was good.

if i go straight there are not any strange sounds only when i turn.

I think the 242 is bad. When you turn the front driveshaft and rear driveshaft will turn at slightly different speeds, which the viscous coupling or whatever the 242 uses in 4full-time is supposed to allow for. So that part inside the 242 is bad, or it could be a stretched chain. The chain skipping usually sounds like somebody hitting under the floor with a hammer.

The 242 does not use a viscous coupling, it uses a center differential. With the tires off the ground, tcase in full time 4wd and transmission in P, if you spin one driveshaft one direction, the other one will spin the opposite direction.

When I can, I am going to start by replacing the CV joint on the front Drive shaft. I already replaced the u-joint that connects to the front axle.

If the sound returns, I will replace the chain. If that does not stop it then I will be looking into thermite and a new TC.

But seeing as it only makes bad sounds when the front drive shaft is spinning hopefully it is just the CV joint and not the internals of my transfer case

The 242 does not use a viscous coupling, it uses a center differential. With the tires off the ground, tcase in full time 4wd and transmission in P, if you spin one driveshaft one direction, the other one will spin the opposite direction.

Right, which is why I said whatever the 242 uses to differentiate speed between the 2 axles. My point was made.