1990 Dodge Dakota

Will a AX15 from a XJ fit a Dakota? 2.5 engine. Or a BA10. Or let's put it another way. Will the Dodge 2.5 fit in a MJ? Looking at nice Dakota, clean interior, rust dent free bod, good running engine, Bad tranny. Belongs to nice lady who's husband recently passed and she needs the money

The Jeep 2.5 used an AX5 and AX4. Its a much lighter trans. If this Dakota has the AX15 bellhousing, then you could probably swap a Jeep AX15 in just by swapping the bellhousing, though you would need to make sure input shafts are the same between them. Thsi could be a good swap too into a Jeep as the AX15 dakota 2.5 trans is much sought after!

Please pardon the intrusion but I have an AX4 in my '86 comanche and id like a five speed, are you telling me I can get a Dakota AX-15 and it will bolt up? Also, would my AX-4 bell housing not onto a jeep AX-15?

John

The AX4/5 bellhousing will not bolt to an AX15. If you want a 5 speed, it would be easiest to find an AX5.... it is identical to the AX4 externally, just has an extra gear! It is a direct bolt in from the AX4. If you do the dakota 2.5 AX15 swap, youll need to change the crossmember and driveshaft/s will have to be custom cut. Not to mention possible shifter issues.

The AX4/5 bellhousing will not bolt to an AX15. If you want a 5 speed, it would be easiest to find an AX5.... it is identical to the AX4 externally, just has an extra gear! It is a direct bolt in from the AX4. If you do the dakota 2.5 AX15 swap, youll need to change the crossmember and driveshaft/s will have to be custom cut. Not to mention possible shifter issues.

Yeah my original plan was an AX5 if I can't stand the AX4. An AX-15 behind my 2.5 is overkill anyway, I just figured if it was simple and cheap enough.....

Okay thanks, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

John

Please pardon the intrusion but I have an AX4 in my '86 comanche and id like a five speed, are you telling me I can get a Dakota AX-15 and it will bolt up? Also, would my AX-4 bell housing not onto a jeep AX-15?

John

I understand the 2.5 Dakota uses an AX-15 so a Dakota 2.5 bellhousing should join your 2.5 and any AX-15 (Dodge or Jeep)....is that what you were asking?