1990 2.5L Starter Removal?

Hey all,

The starter on my 90 2.5L is going out. I got under it tonight to assess the situation of how it comes out. Looks like 2 bolts go straight up from underneath. Both bolts are in pretty close proximity to the edge of the flywheel opening. I can easily see getting the outer one off with a box wrench. Any tricks to get the other bolt out? (the one close to the engine, between the starter and the engine) Id really rather not have to remove the exhause to get it out. About the only thing I could come up with is a swivel and a "crows foot" on a ratchet. Any help/tricks would be great.

-Erin

I had to remove a support bar, as well as the flywheel cover to pull it out; you have to pull some real magic tricks to get the funky bolts bolts out without removing the flywheel cover. Re-installing it was slightly easier though.

I sure wish it was a 5 minute job.

Took longer than expected. The bolts had been changed out to metric hex heads, (took a 14mm wrench) which were right up against the flywheel cover. For some reason, the flywheel cover would not come off. The exhaust was slightly in the way, also there is a transmission support rod in the way as well. At any rate, it is done now. IF I have to do it again, I'll be changing out the bolts for something easier to get a tool onto. It was also raining here....slowing us down considerably.

• 3 weeks later...