Header, Manifold, Sensors

OK,

I started my exhaust re-vamp on the 88 MJ. I don't need a monster system, I don't need it to sound "cool". I plan on keeping the cat as is until it stops working, I put in a Flowmaster 40, the cat is good, I fixed all my hangers. I know the manifold is cracked by the collector, which I can weld up...but...it seems all I hear is that the Renix manifolds, crack, or will crack. I will put in a flex portion after I get this all done.

So my real question is: Is there an after market Renix header out there that doesn't cost more than my whole truck, OR can I just have an exhaust shop fab up a decent downpipe with the sensor (O2, EGR) bungs. Has anyone modified this section to be smog compliant and still avoid the inevitable exhaust leak??

OK,

I started my exhaust re-vamp on the 88 MJ. I don't need a monster system, I don't need it to sound "cool". I plan on keeping the cat as is until it stops working, I put in a Flowmaster 40, the cat is good, I fixed all my hangers. I know the manifold is cracked by the collector, which I can weld up...but...it seems all I hear is that the Renix manifolds, crack, or will crack. I will put in a flex portion after I get this all done.

So my real question is: Is there an after market Renix header out there that doesn't cost more than my whole truck, OR can I just have an exhaust shop fab up a decent downpipe with the sensor (O2, EGR) bungs. Has anyone modified this section to be smog compliant and still avoid the inevitable exhaust leak??

I have used the later exhaust manifold with the O2 sensor welded into the upgraded down pipe which is made in two 45* angles to clear the driveshaft and has no "crush". You can have an EGR tube bung welded into the later manifold also.