D44 Gear Oil.

The search function on this forum is killing me. I have tryed searching the forums because I know that there is an answer already out there, but it keeps reducing the search criteria to a single word and not returning any usable results.

My 89 Comanche has a Dana 44 rear end but the I.D. tags are missing, I want to service the diff and need to have everything on hand before I start, gasket, gear oil; etc. but what I don't know is, are all the D44 rear ends limited slip and what oil I should use? What friction modifier? Are the lube locker gaskets worth the money? What sealant should I use? I am told that there is now a better sealant than RTV blue for diff covers.

Any input appreciated.

Thanx

Eric

Here's page 83 of my 89' owner's manual. Just use GL5. However there's been a lot of advancements in gear oil since our trucks were new. Most oils already contain the additive needed. Chances are, if you have a LSD, the clutch packs could be slipping anyway.

Just go with a 90w, unless you tow a lot, then go with 140w. I prefer synthetic. But it probably doesn't matter. Don't fret the RTV, a good ole cork gasket and just about any RTV will be just fine as long as its compatible with the oil.

8100059315_9f64fa1807_z.jpg

I am fond of the lube locker gaskets, although I have not (yet) learned how many R&R cycles to expect without leaks.

Three so far, without issue. When it fails I'll modify the cover to include a drain plug which, in my opinion, should be

standard design on all diffs. Anything that requires fluid changes should have a handy drain provision.

Thanx for all the input guys, I appreciate you taking the time. In my excitement of my new project I seem to have forgotten some of the most basic mechanical principals and practices, after 25 years of turning wrenches it makes you feel kind of stupid but I never took the time to jack up the truck by the pumpkin and spin the wheels (both forward = limited slip, one forward, one back = open) Duh!!!!! I did service both diffs. but I guess I just couldn't justify the cost of the lube lockers. Felpro paper gaskets and a tube of RTV Gray, some fresh 80/90 and I'm ready to roll.

Damn Flint, I wish I had thought of that. I could have easily welded bungs into both covers while I had them off..... Next time.

Thanx

Eric

I recently switched to Lube Lockers in my MJ. I do all my own work and maintenance and had finally gotten sick of cleaning RTV off. I plan on keeping my MJ for a long time, so I know I'll be doing maintenance on them again. If you think about the cost of the RTV, gaskets if you use them, and whatever you use to clean the old stuff off, it only takes a few times doing it to add up to the cost of the Lube Lockers. Plus with the Lube Lockers, draining and refilling is easy. Loosen cover, drain, tighten back up. No waiting for RTV to dry, no need to add a drain plug, don't even need to fully pull the cover or clean the surfaces again.

For gear oil, I've been using Lucas in both my rigs for years. After talking with 3 different guys that set gears professionally, it was the only gear oil they all recommended that was readily available locally. It was even the same price as the "cheap stuff." Its also formulated so there's no additives needed if you have a clutch driven limited slip.