looking around the DIY section i found the thread "junk Yard upgrades" one part is the ford electric fan from a Taurus or mustang...anyone done a electric fan on there truck? did you rip one from the yard or buy a new one? its an idea ive been rolling around for quite awhile. the truck is a 86 2.5 5sp. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

It is a great upgrade if it is done "RIGHT". you have to account for the amount of current that fan pulls. You can hook it up and the stock electrical system will run it but It puts a tremendous load on it and can very easily cause a electrical fire because of the high current pull of that fan. Not sure of the specs on your alt since it is a 2.5 but i know I have a 61 amp alternator. Also I know that the taurus fan pulls around 50 amps at start up. as you can see that is a lot of load on the system, when they designed mine to only use 61 amps max if that running every accessory. so bottom line. if you are going to do it i would run a bigger alternator off a durango maybe. I believe they are just about a direct bolt on and are 136 amps and replace the grounds and some of the main power wires with thicker stuff. Prob around 8-4 gauge.

I think the Taurus fan upgrade works better on the 4.0's. The 2.5 rad is different shaped. That said, I put one from a Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ (99-04) moulded to my existing fan shroud, and wired in with a fan controller. I havent done an alt upgrade and have had no issues. Ive noticed too that the fan from a PT cruiser is about the same size as the 2.5 radiator,but have yet to try one for fitment. Might be an option.

I put the Taurus 95-96 3.8 fan on my 2.5. It really works nice but was a bit of a challange to install. I ordered the relay and temp controls fron DCControl.com, ~ $70. A real nice two speed relay setup with adjustable temp control. My small alternator works fine with this setup. The challange was the radiator had to be moved forward about 3/4" to give clearance for the motor and the pully. Some cutting, drilling and riveting. On a 105 degree day in heavy stop and go traffic I will see the temp rise maybe 10 degrees above normal.

I put the Taurus 95-96 3.8 fan on my 2.5. It really works nice but was a bit of a challange to install. I ordered the relay and temp controls fron DCControl.com, ~ $70. A real nice two speed relay setup with adjustable temp control. My small alternator works fine with this setup. The challange was the radiator had to be moved forward about 3/4" to give clearance for the motor and the pully. Some cutting, drilling and riveting. On a 105 degree day in heavy stop and go traffic I will see the temp rise maybe 10 degrees above normal.

what did you have to do to move the radiator?

how did you all do to wire it in? did you wire it into the ignition so it goes on at start up or just a specific temperatures.....any pictures maybe? also what has to be done with stud or whatever it is that the mechanical fan is mounted on?

The radiator mounts at the top with 3/4" dia rubber bushings. I cut small sheetmetal patches and riveted in place, then cut 3/4" holes forward about 3/4", see photo. I don't have a photo of the other side but I had to trim a 14" verticle sheetmetal strip, then mount a patch on the top with a new mounting hole. The radiator hangs from the top mounts, the bottom is just a locator tab, drill a new hole.

In this photo you can see the double speed relay mounted on the inner fender. The wiring comes straight off the battery, my positive battery cable had a pigtail ready for connection, same with the ground. You can see the temp sensor comes around and goes into the center top of the radiator fins. The pulley hub is just mounted with bolts. Note the 50A faston connectors for the fan motor.

The radiator mounts at the top with 3/4" dia rubber bushings. I cut small sheetmetal patches and riveted in place, then cut 3/4" holes forward about 3/4", see photo. I don't have a photo of the other side but I had to trim a 14" verticle sheetmetal strip, then mount a patch on the top with a new mounting hole. The radiator hangs from the top mounts, the bottom is just a locator tab, drill a new hole.

So you just stuck a chunk ofof metal under the mount to make it bigger ..sweet lo....you're engine bay is really clean lol i wish mine was that ....did you notice any power gains?

I put the same controller and Taurus fan in my 2005 TJ. I bought a used fan at first, but it failed before too long (I like to play in the mud) so I bought one from an online auto parts supplier called Canada Parts Online. The American version is USAutoParts. The new fan came with a lifetime warranty for $180. For the wiring, I did the same as airspeed, except I put a relay in the supply wire from the battery. This did two things for me. 1. it is wired through a switch on the dash so I can turn it off for a deep water crossing and 2. the relay control is wired to a switched power source so the fan shuts off with the ignition.