Engine Wiring Harness Question

hey all,

haven't posted in a while, I'm due for a question or two

ive been looking for a donor for my 4.0 swap and have been finding a bunch of mj's lately in the area. most of which are 2.5's though :shake: and all the xjs seem to be newer and I'm trying to keep things simple and stay with renix (mines an '88). anyways, i found an '87 4.0 mj about a hundred miles away. runs and drives but has about 195k :ack: thats higher mileage than i want obviously but i might be able to live with it. i know these motors are known to be somewhat bulletproof. my main question is about the engine harness. the possible donor is a 4.0 auto 2wd and mine's going to be a peugeot 5speed and np231. ive never swapped motors before and electrical is my weakness but i have some connections with more knowledge in that area. would i be able to use the harness from it? :crossfingers: how much would be involved in splicing in what i need, etc. do i even have enough info to know?

thanks..thats what i thought but wasnt sure if there was any needed wiring for a manual. and what about the wiring going to the transfer case? is that just for a light on the dash or something?

i think i might contact this guy...even with 195k, at least the initial 4.0 swap will be complete so if the motor goes, ill just need a new longblock. and its even got bucket seats, cargo light, good taillights, straight body, etc.

For the '87, there's a vacuum line that runs from a port on the transfer case to a switch on the firewall. That controls the dash 4WD light, IIRC, and from there the vacuum splits into a harness that goes to the axle disconnect shift motor. You can just lock the axle in the 4WD position and not worry about it. And you don't really need the 4WD light, unless you think you're likely to put it into 4WD and forget ...

oh wow....i guess i never really looked at the "wiring" before lol

the '88 that i got my axles, tranny and t/c from had a small engine fire, so the vacuum lines that looked like wiring to me because they were wrapped, are melted on the one end. so theres four lines (a green, a blue, a yellow, and a red). all but the red go to a connector/clip type thing. from there on, mine is melted. is the red the one that goes to the CAD? what about the others? i really don't care about a 4x4 dash light....ive got a bulky lever that will be pointing straight up if i leave it in 4Low....I'm just trying to figure out where these lines go. its been pondering in my mind since i brought it home

oh wow....i guess i never really looked at the "wiring" before lol

the '88 that i got my axles, tranny and t/c from had a small engine fire, so the vacuum lines that looked like wiring to me because they were wrapped, are melted on the one end. so theres four lines (a green, a blue, a yellow, and a red). all but the red go to a connector/clip type thing. from there on, mine is melted.

Yes, that's the CAD vacuum harness.