Spare Tire And 2Nd Gas Tank?

First of all, my 91 lwb has the 23.5 gal gas tank and if I slow down, it is good for more than 500 miles between fillups. (My bladder can not match anything close to that range). But since I own a 96 VW Passat TDI wagon that can travel more than 1000 (that is correct One Thousand) miles on a single tank of diesel, I keep looking for a way to get more miles without a gas stop.

To meet that 1000 mile goal I will need a second gas tank. To install a second gas tank, I need to figure out what to do with my spare tire. The most reasonible place to put a second gas tank is in front of the rear bumper where the spare tire resides. That brings up the question of what to do with the spare?

Can anyone offer other thoughts?

Several solutoins come to mind. But first I seemed to remember a extra long range tank for an 80's F150 truck with the winch for the spare tire traveling thru the rear gas tank. Net result, the spare sat below the 19 gal. gas tank. Can any of your old guys confirm this?

Next option would be to mount the spare tire on my front trailer hitch. Not good looking, but it would be cheap. Question is how would it affect/effect the engine cooling temperature?

There are some very large fuel tanks in full size late 60's and 70's full size GM cars that had very thin, cut long and wide gas tanks of about 24 plus gallons. One of these tanks could fit in place of the spare tire in most MJ's. A transfer fuel pump could be used to fill the primary fuel tank. Total range could be more than a 1000 miles, but we still would have the bladder range problem.