Checking The Axle

Recently I picked up a 99 XJ Classic with the 8.25 rear axle. This vehicle was totaled by a hard hit in the 'b' pillar on the passenger side that bent the floor pan beyond repair. I do not believe the axle was struck, but the rear tire was flattened and the rim was bent slightly. The vehicle runs and drives, but because of the bent rim it rolls funny (like an egg) on the back right.

I cannot visually see that the axle is bent, but are there any "tricks" to see if it was damaged? (other then getting is professionally checked). I can see the front spring shackle is twisted upward slightly (due to the impact damage that "pulled it" along with the frame). The shackle is pulled in about 1 to 11/2 inch.

First look:

Thanks!

Better (more accurate) way to check it is to put a dial indicator on the face of the axle flange (where the wheel bolts on) and rotate the axle by hand. Then do the same thing on the other side. Compare the runout on both axle flanges. As a check, do the same thing on one of your MJs. You can pick up a dial indicator and stand from Harbor Freight fairly cheap. Or, find a friend who has one.