Vacuum Cleaner

I have been working on cleaning up the mess of vacuum lines on my Comanche. I deleted quite a few lines on my old XJ so this should be essentially the same but I don't know the system well enough to know everything that I can remove. I have already removed the vacuum storage canister in the front bumper and have run the heater controlls to a constant vac line from the manifold, I have removed the heater controll valve and run the lines directly to the heat exchanger. I have also removed that tangled mess of a vacuum manifold from the front of the engine and routed all of the lines to a manifold vac source. I believe that I have kept all of the essentials in tact.

Somebody please explain to me what the large (charcole???) canister behind the oil filter is for and if it is really nessesary. On my XJ I removed the large line that went from the canister around the fire wall along the drivers side fender to the air box and just plugged the port on the canister. Today while cleaning up the system on my Cpmanche I noticed that the only other line from the canister just go's to manifold vac, so I want to just remove that canister, should I? With that canister out of the loop on my XJ it passed emissions no problem. What else can I remove? I am not concerned with the CAD as I will be changing over to a cable actuated system. Is there a vacuum actuated componant to the transmission?

I do intend to drive this truck on the street but as I said, with the mods that I have made so far my Cherokee passed emissions easily.

Any other suggestions?

Thanx

Eric

Sorry, Gotta get used to puting ALL of my info in the posts. It's an 89 long bed with 4.0 and an auto.

Why the fuel filter? I was just going to put a vac plug on the port.

What is FWIW?

The c canister is basically a big filter - - - Input is a vent from the gas tank - Output to intake eventually - - - - - Plugging the out is OK, but leaving the vent open is asking for Murphys Law to strike ASAP - - - - Plugging the vent line can cause problems both obvious & sinister - - - - - - Capped the vent line on my Dodge Rampage a few back - - mistook it for a vac line - - - Short trips B&F to town & such no trouble - - Started losing power on 1st long trip when the f pump pulled enough gas from the tank & then started struggling against the vacuum created by the capped vent & no vent gas cap - - - Let off throttle to pull off road & tank vac was relieved through carb bowl vent - - - Twice more & then abort trip & back to home b4 things got worse - - - - -Quickly found the answer on a Dodge forum & didn't feel quite so dumb after seeing lots of others had done the same - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - FWIW is For What It's Worth - - - Usually a casual way of saying here's some unsolicited info that may be of use or here's my unasked for opinion or here 'tis or - - - - -Also a great song by Jefferson Airplane.

Thanks for the input CF, I get the fuel tank vent and filter on the end of the hose. There is only one problem there are only two lines coming from the canister, one to the intake manifold and the other to the air box. There does apear to be a boss on the canister for another line but no line and no barb for a line, upon further inspection no hole either, are there different versions of this canister? Does the fact that my truck is a long bed have anything to do with it? Fuel tank vent under the bed?

Any other sugestions for what else I can remove to simplify/eliminate the vac systems?

Thanks

Eric

I also have a long bed ('87), so I am following your conversation carefully. BTW, FWIW is a great song, but by Buffalo Springfield.

FWIW - SPRINGFIELD! - GFG - Maybe my wife is right about early stages of CRS syndrome - - - - - - - - - Here's a bit from 88 Cherokee FSM - - - Looks identical to what was on my 87 - - - - - - -My canister had/has the blind terminal/port/boss as well - - Think I still have it will post a pic tomorrow

Image Not Found

Sorry, Gotta get used to puting ALL of my info in the posts. It's an 89 long bed with 4.0 and an auto.

You can avoid that by putting all your truck's basic info into your signature.

FWIW - SPRINGFIELD! Buffalo Springfield

I saw this, and instantly noticed you're from Missouri. I know you're referencing a band, but thought it was odd, since I live in Springfield, and Buffalo is only a few miles away... you wouldn't happen to be from this area, would you?