Compatible doors for 88 MJ

Well my new MJ project has been interesting so far trying to fix the design flaws. I have bad window regulators, lock cylinders, little rust in bottom of door skins, broken side view mirrors, leaking window weather stripping to go with the near non existent floorboards and bad crank position sensor. Instead of fixing all the individual parts I'm now thinking of just replacing the whole doors with new ones that fix all my door related issues.

Question is what way to go. I'm thinking just go with doors that have one solid window to skip the whole vent window issue.

Thoughts anyone, recommendations? what year doors do I go for?

Well my new MJ project has been interesting so far trying to fix the design flaws. I have bad window regulators, lock cylinders, little rust in bottom of door skins, broken side view mirrors, leaking window weather stripping to go with the near non existent floorboards and bad crank position sensor. Instead of fixing all the individual parts I'm now thinking of just replacing the whole doors with new ones that fix all my door related issues.

Question is what way to go. I'm thinking just go with doors that have one solid window to skip the whole vent window issue.

Thoughts anyone, recommendations? what year doors do I go for?

All doors from 4-door XJs will fit. Sort of.

The issue is that the early years, including all years of the MJ, use a single post on the door jamb as the strike. Somewhere around 1994 or 1995 they changed over to a squared loop strike. I think those remained at the same vertical position through 1996 (not sure on that) but when the updated body style was introduced in 1997 the vertical position of the strike moved. This affects ALL years with the full window (1997 through 2001). They can (and have) been made to work, but you have to Mickey Mouse the strike attachment to the body.

Personally, I would look for good XJ doors withOUT the operable vents (the fixed triangular lites), and go with that. In the event of an accident I want my doors to stay shut, so messing around with makeshift strike arrangements is not something I would suggest. Even if you think you can do a good job (and even if you're right), consider that in the event of an accident if you have a passenger who is injured and the door popped open, somebody is going to get a big payout and it's possible your insurance company won't want to know who you are because you altered the factory door latches.

A lot of us have done the late model door swap. You'll need doors from a 97+ XJ. It's a lot easier if you prefer manual windows. The wiring for power windows and locks can be daunting.

The only mod is that you'll have to get the newer style striker and drill a couple of holes to mount them in the jambs.

-edit- The post type strikers were used all the way to 96. I know this because the first late model door swap I did was on my 96 XJ.