Starter Woes

This is in regards to my 91 MJ, 4.0, auto, 2wd.

I been having strange issues the past couple days with the starter. I have ruled out a battery issue.

When the starter itself is warm, it does not want to turn over. It will but it does so extremely slow. The reason I say warm is that even when the jeep sits in the sun all day it has trouble turning over. But of course it will never do it at home because its usually 4 in the morning when I'm leaving the house and the starter would be cool at that time. I was just out in the yard a little bit ago and tried it; jeeps been sitting in the shade and its probably only 60 above, worked like a charm.

It has not left me stranded...yet. I just don't know if this could be a starter motor problem, solenoid issue, wiring problem.....

I just don't want to get stranded at work with the dang thing. I work in a mine and its not like someone can just drive through security and come pick me up at work.....almost like working on a air force base or something..

It could be battery, it could be wiring, and it could be starter. Usually starters simply quit, but they can deteriorate such that heat increases internal resistance, and that can result in slow turing and higher than normal current draw.

The starter is only held in by two bolts and two wire connections. Pull it Friday night (if you don't work on Saturday), and Saturday morning take it to an Auto Zone or Advance Auto and have it bench tested.

It could be battery, it could be wiring, and it could be starter. Usually starters simply quit, but they can deteriorate such that heat increases internal resistance, and that can result in slow turing and higher than normal current draw.

The starter is only held in by two bolts and two wire connections. Pull it Friday night (if you don't work on Saturday), and Saturday morning take it to an Auto Zone or Advance Auto and have it bench tested.

Ive tried 3 different known good batteries the last week.

Yes in my expirence, starters just quit. Ill pull the thing outa there and have it tested. What do they actually 'test' on the starter? I have had one tested before but it turned out to be a reman starter that I had just bought was junk.

I work tonite midnights, I'm going to drive it to work. Just wish it was a manual trans so I could pull start the darn thing if need be..

What do they actually 'test' on the starter? I have had one tested before but it turned out to be a reman starter that I had just bought was junk.

I have been there when they test the starters (and Alternators). They have a box that they mount the darn things in and they hook up cables from a battery - then flip a switch and see if it performs properly.