TCU pin outs

Hey there,

Put in the TCU for the new AW4 (new to me) but have not connected ALL the wires. I have the NSS jumped, have the 7 pin connector in, have the dual TPS on. Have 3 grounds coming out of TCU. I have not connected the POWER to the TCU yet. The last three wires are TPS voltage, TPS input and TPS ground. The same 3 wires coming from of the TPS dive into the wiring harness and I surmise that they go to the ECU in their present configuration.

Can I just splice in to those wires...the TPS 3 or id it more complicated than that?

The MJ runs fine, but I still have to shift manually

TPS black/ground goes to a tan and orange at D-3.

TPS blue/output to TCU goes to gray/tracer at D-2.

TPS gray/voltage supply from TCU goes to red at D-1.

Ignition input to TCU is yellow at D-16.

Well, maybe I didn't explain this correctly. I know where the wires go to the TCU.

The wires were cut between the TCU and ECU. The TCU is intact with all the correct wires in all the correct spots and is all hooked up but the three wires I have left are the tan/orange gray/tracer and red from the TCU.

The existing TPS wiring (when I had the 5 speed it only used one of the connectors) has 2 connectors. The wires for the second connector are the same (tan/orange gray/tracer and red). They go from the TPS and dive into the harness. Where do they go when they leave the TPS?? There was never a TCU in this truck before.

I still have the loose wires coming from the TCU (tan/orange gray/tracer and red) to the engine bay AND wires coming from the TPS. So the question is can I splice the wires from the TCU to the wires from the TPS?

The ECU is original, 88, RENIX...and like I said the engine runs very well.

The flexplate is RENIX as well. Original CPS- 88. It doesn't have cruise and I'm not adding it.

The TCU is the same year as the harness and tranny - 93 HO. I didn't want to rip out the existing injection system etal, because it all seemed to work fine. Like I had said, it WAS a 5 speed. There were 2 TPS sensors wired into the harness, one was not used, but the wiring from it is all there. I just haven't dug into the harness to see where those 3 wires went on the 5 speed (if anywhere, since it wasn't used).

When I went thru the donor harness I removed all the wiring that didn't just pertain to the trans. I could not find anywhere that the ECU needed anymore info than the wires I kept pertain to.

Does that make sense??:dunno:

Right...

that's what has me confused. I removed the TPS with the flat connector from the throttle body and added the square TPS like on my XJ. The new TPS (also a RENIX TPS) has two sets of wires and 2 connectors on it. They both plug in to the 2 connectors from the harness...just like on my XJ. Previously the square connecter was just sitting there, unplugged, and the flat connecter was plugged in to the manual TPS.

I imagine the wires from the flat plug go to the ECU.

...and back to my problem. Would the TPS 3...orange, gray, red actually GO somewhere, since there was never a TCU in there or would they just be butted off inside the harness, waiting for an amateur like me to splice them up to the AW4 TCU and make everything magically work like it should?

I imagine the wires from the flat plug go to the ECU. ...and back to my problem. Would the TPS 3...orange, gray, red actually GO somewhere, since there was never a TCU in there or would they just be butted off inside the harness, waiting for an amateur like me to splice them up to the AW4 TCU and make everything magically work like it should?

Either someone with the 88 Renix electrical FSM will have trace them out (I'm sure someone does) on the wiring diagram, or you will have to ohm them out to the distant end. I would but do not have the Renix FSMs. There could be junctions inside the harness along the way too. If you can not verify with an FSM, take a chance and connect them and see what happens. Either the TCU will function or not. I don't think anything will smoke. If no workee, then dig in.

Thanks guys,

I have some form of an 88 FSM ZIP file on my desktop at home (at work now). I'll get in to that today. It's hotter than hades out there today (106 ) and very smoky from all the fires, so maybe I'll concentrate on some indoor book work.

I have been working off the wiring diagrams in the Chilton book...and so far, they're proving to be OK but whoever indexed them ought to be shot. It's like calling a government office, see 14, see 110, see 11, see 75, then back to 14 arrrgh :fs1:

I appreciate the input albeit my confusing explanation. :bowdown:

I imagine the wires from the flat plug go to the ECU. ...and back to my problem. Would the TPS 3...orange, gray, red actually GO somewhere, since there was never a TCU in there or would they just be butted off inside the harness, waiting for an amateur like me to splice them up to the AW4 TCU and make everything magically work like it should?

Either someone with the 88 Renix electrical FSM will have trace them out (I'm sure someone does) on the wiring diagram, or you will have to ohm them out to the distant end. I would but do not have the Renix FSMs. There could be junctions inside the harness along the way too. If you can not verify with an FSM, take a chance and connect them and see what happens. Either the TCU will function or not. I don't think anything will smoke. If no workee, then dig in.

That's what I did originally.Provided the pin numbers on both the TPS connector and the TCU with color codes. The only connector that carries the signals is the C101 at C-1, C-2, and C-3.

I've separated it all out. The red TCU battery supply @ D14..the yellow ignition @ D16...found the TPS 3 @ D1, D2 and D3 way back in the harness. All laid out to splice tomorrow. All the grounds go to the oil dipstick. Then I'll turn the thing on and wait with the fire extinguisher. :yes:

Thanks to both of you. :clapping:

I've separated it all out. The red TCU battery supply @ D14..the yellow ignition @ D16...found the TPS 3 @ D1, D2 and D3 way back in the harness. All laid out to splice tomorrow. All the grounds go to the oil dipstick. Then I'll turn the thing on and wait with the fire extinguisher. :yes:

Thanks to both of you. :clapping:

I'm not worried. Then again, it's not my Jeep. LOL.

Actually, I have such confidence in you that I closed up my wiring diagram book.........

This is where the faith and trust (and a little luck) comes in.

Yep, sometimes you have to do that. You do the best edumacated prep you can, apply fire, then sink or swim. I can only remember one sink example, and it was a fire. A fuel related fire. In this case it'll either shift via the TCU or not. Hope it works for you.

I've had to re-read this a couple times before I start hacking wires.

Cruiser, does that mean any splicing I do should be done at the C101 connector?? I'm wondering about some sort of back feed frying my TCU or worse. There are only 2 power wires to the TCU, one battery (red) and one ignition (big yellow). So can I get the battery from...the battery...and the ignition from the big yellow wire in the harness?

I've had to re-read this a couple times before I start hacking wires.

Cruiser, does that mean any splicing I do should be done at the C101 connector?? I'm wondering about some sort of back feed frying my TCU or worse. There are only 2 power wires to the TCU, one battery (red) and one ignition (big yellow). So can I get the battery from...the battery...and the ignition from the big yellow wire in the harness?

I was just pointing out that those wires are available at the C101.

If you're more comfortable with it, run your own harness to the TCU from the TPS trans side.

Okie dokie,

It's time to put this thread to bed. My truck is now an automatic. I finished putting together wiring for the TCU. Followed the TCU wires to the C101 connecter and spliced them in there, thanks you guys. No smoke, no hiccups, no hesitation. It was really so easy I can't believe it. I spent alot of time um...er...ummm...(over)thinking about it. It took about 15 minutes to actually do it.

Thanks again guys. It drives sooo smooth, shifts on queue, TC locks up, very happy now. Axles are next, but no work on it for a while...I have an XJ to fix.

Okie dokie,

It's time to put this thread to bed. My truck is now an automatic. I finished putting together wiring for the TCU. Followed the TCU wires to the C101 connecter and spliced them in there, thanks you guys. No smoke, no hiccups, no hesitation. It was really so easy I can't believe it. I spent alot of time um...er...ummm...(over)thinking about it. It took about 15 minutes to actually do it.

Thanks again guys. It drives sooo smooth, shifts on queue, TC locks up, very happy now. Axles are next, but no work on it for a while...I have an XJ to fix.

My thoughts exactly. You guess which ones!! Hey, you stuck with it and got it done. Perhaps you can help someone in the future with your newly acquired knowledge.

Glad you got 'er done. :thumbsup: What did you do with the clutch pedal? :D

I removed the whole assby. and put in a wide auto brake pedal. The bracket was a B@#*& to get at. I stuck with the old style brake light switch, I had to drill/punch out the mounting stud in the pedal arm to put the old style bolt, bushings and spacers so the switch would work. I also put in a new master cylinder from my own shop stash & booster from a 96(?)ZJ. Been meaning to get that done too.

If anybody needs a manual clutch and brake pedal, speak now, or it's off to the dump in the next day or two. I also ditched all the clutch m/c and associated hoses, covered the hole with a home made plate. No more worries about the fuse box getting melted. I also have a 231 AMC 21 spline vacuum t-case that I can't seem to even give away on CL. There are so many old XJ's around here that it's hard to believe I can't give it to a deserving Jeeper.