pulling door lock cylinders

maybe i just don't know what search terms to use, but i haven't been able to find a thread that actually explains *how* to pull the door lock cylinders.

i have a 1987 comanche with no door keys. i ordered the lock cylinders from autozone, and i know there's supposed to be a clip or something i pull off the cylinder in the door, but i can't see it (doesn't help that i'm trying to peer through a hole around a metal corner).

everyone talks about it like it's fairly simple so i'm hoping someone here can give me some help. I have NO mechanical experience, some basic tools, and a small amount of aptitude.

i like to try to do things like this myself because 1) i'm broke and 2) the more i know, the less i have to rely on others.

thanks for any help

this is my first post! hi everyone!

remove the door panel then you can get your hand up to the clip and pull it off. Then unhook the rod from it. They usually "pop" off so be prepared to bang your hand up and skin a knuckle or two.

I installed new locks in both of my doors. There is a flat piece of metal that slides between the lock and the inside of the door metal that holds the lock in place. I used a screw driver to get in there and slide it out of place. You might want to double check and insure you have the right locks...I remeber all the auto stores I went to sold me the wrong lock even though its what their computer shows as the right part. I ended up buying them from teamcherokee.com

I installed new locks in both of my doors. There is a flat piece of metal that slides between the lock and the inside of the door metal that holds the lock in place. I used a screw driver to get in there and slide it out of place. You might want to double check and insure you have the right locks...I remeber all the auto stores I went to sold me the wrong lock even though its what their computer shows as the right part. I ended up buying them from teamcherokee.com

Thanks!!!! everyone keeps talking about this "clip" and i had no idea what to look for. i spent quite a bit of time with my hand up my door's skirt, so to speak, feeling around. But I don't know what I'm doing so, for instance, when i saw that flat piece of metal I wondered if it was the clip, but I couldn't get it to budge and i don't want to do something stupid and create a mess that is more expensive than just paying someone to change out the cylinders for me. So i will try a screwdriver. I might try some WD-40 to loosen it up first. Every screw and bolt on this truck needs some encouragement I swear :P

UPDATE: I tried everything, i could not get that *bleep* clip off. So I walked over to the locksmith next door and he's going to do it for me Wednesday a.m. At least all i have to do is leave it in the driveway and he can just walk through the hole in the fence :P

bummer. i hope autozone sent me the right ones, too, but if not at least i can return them locally.