Speaking of wheels ...

... I'm looking for suggestions on how best to clean up and somewhat polish the back sides of a set of factory alloy rims. I've collected from various sources a set of five of the OEM "Turbine" rims that were factory options in the 1980s. For the fronts, I plan to use aircraft stripper to remove what's left of the clear coat, polish up the faces of the spokes and the outer rim, then spray with new clear coat.

The problem is the backs. One must have been used as a spare only, because it's perfectly clean, polished, shiny, and doesn't have a spot of grease or dirt on it. The others are ... rough. Dirty, greasy, and showing signs of oxidation. I tried cleaning one with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. It took off the grease fairly well, but it didn't do anything for the discoloration and pitting.

Would a flap sander be too aggressive? (Keeping in mind that the only place I could find one was Lowe's, and it's either a medium or coarse grit -- no fine or super fine available.) A steel wire brush would just chew up the aluminum, so that's not an option. Has anybody ever tried a brass or bronze brush on aluminum alloy?

What else is out there that'll bring the wheels back without destroying them?

Brillo pad?

:agree: As long as it isn't chrome, and if I remember the turbine wheels, it isn't, than a brillo pad will work wonders. I did this with an old set of wheels a long time ago that were caked with dirt and brake dust. The combination of the soap, the steel wool, and a bit of elbow grease will get them looking like new.