Brake update?

I've seen a couple things about updates for the brakes. I was wondering what is the best upgrade. What are the benefits? How bad is it to do? Any info is good info.

Thanks

I've got a 89 2wd auto with a 94 cherokee 4.0 and a late model intake and throttle body. Just bought the truck yesterday.

There are writeups here and elsewhere about changing the brake booster and master cylinder to a 96 XJ double diaphragm type, or to a WJ Grand Cherokee style booster and master.

Another upgrade would be to WJ front calipers and rotors which also need the whole "spindle" outer "C" changed, as well as some custom made or other vehicle parts.

There are also writeups here for doing away with the MJ's rear height sensing valve. This would allow full brake pressure to go to the rear wheels, thus adding braking, but also maybe causing rear lockup. A different style proportioning valve can be added in that case if you wanted one.

Then there are rear disc brake conversions using various donors that could help.

As far as which is best, I couldnt tell you. I would start with the dual diaphragm booster and master, and then go from there with the other stuff. If you know how to do brake system work and bleeding, and running new lines, any of these mods can be done with little other in depth experience.

Its all out there if you do a little research. Good luck.