AW4 wiring issues - SWAP

Well I think this is either a OBVIOUS question or a stupid one. Not getting any play on other forums.

I removed the BA/10 from my 1988 MJ. I've installed an AW4 (1992) in the MJ, including the 23 spline 231J TC. Everything is bolted up, fits, TC & front shaft installed.

Since the 1992 AW4 and the 1988 BA/10 have different control systems, these are my problems.

1. The BA/10 only has a back-up light switch, no NSS and the 4 prong flat connector. The AW4 has an NSS...and the 6 prong square connector. There is no such plug on the 1988 MJ.

2. The electronic controls for the AW4 has a 7 prong connector...squarish too. The harness of the MJ has no such connector.

3. I took the TCU from a 93/94 XJ...there is no wiring for the TCU either. Unless it's really stashed well under the heater box. Do I need a RENIX TCU or an HO TCU

I'm in a quandry as to how to connect/what I have to get from donor vehicles. If the tranny is a 92 do I need the harness et al. from a 92 or from a RENIX.

Do I get the WHOLE harness? If I get the harness from an 88, with an automatic, and plug it in

can I just unplug and plug at the C-101 connector?

You will need an underhood and crossbody harness (if you can't find the TCU connectors) from an 88-90 Renix XJ/MJ with the AW4 seeing that you still have the Renix engine in there so you can retain all the sensors. The 93-94 TCU should plug into the new Renix AW4 harness; I think the TCU connectors are the same through 1994. The white square connector off the AW4 goes to the three tranny solenoids and the speed sensor and are controlled by the TCU. The speed sensor also provides an input to the ECU. Your existing Renix ECU may or may not work with the AW4 (it does for the HOs), I'm not sure - I'd just try it first. The NSS can be jumpered out if necessary at it connector on the tranny; I'll have to dig for the pinouts.

• 4 weeks later...
When I converted my '87 to auto, I used the harness underhood from a '90 XJ and got rid of the C101 connector at the same time, but I haven't hooked the battery up yet.

I' have been wondering how to do that. Got any tips. The "partial" harness I have was cut at the diagnostic plug ins...anything past that is gone. But the other end that plugs into the ECU is all in good shape with injector wires and all the sensors.

Thanks.

P.S. What do you expect when you do hook the battery up?