looking for a 4 cyl 2.5l motor...

I'm looking for a 2.5l motor. The one on my truck gave out with a cracked block beyond repair. I'm located in south Texas and have looked at junk yards of over a 100 mile radius and have realized how rare these trucks are and how hard it is to find parts for them. I've been considering dropping a 4.0l 6 cyl motor since they are more common but I don't know if it'll bolt on to the 4 speed manual trans or if i'll have to swap out tranny as well....if anyone has a 4 cyl 2.5 for sale let me know. If anyone has info about dropping in a 4.0, please let me know. Thanx.

To swap in a 4.0, you will need a similar year COMPLETE donor Comanche or Cherokee. Since Cherokee donors are hugely more common, they will be easier to find but won't have everything youll need.... Meaning youll need a new rear drive shaft from a similar Comanche or have one made. I say get a complete donor because the engine, trans, engine compartment wiring, under dash wiring, instrument cluster, transfer case shift linkage, radiator, core support...... and probably some other stuff I can't think of, need to be swapped over for a 4.0 swap. Its a HUGE job. Keep looking for a 2.5, or search online for a complete rebuilt unit from any number of different manufacturers. You could also try http://www.car-part.com and search on there for a good used one in either a Cherokee, Dakota, or a Wrangler. Get it and swap over all your existing intake, exhaust and accessories. The models from 90 and older and 91 and newer have different operating systems, but from what I know, the long blocks are all the same relatively speaking. Good luck with your search.

I have a 2.5L that came out of a '94 (approximately) Wrangler, so it's set up for a Mopar injection rather than Renix. It was given to me and I have no use for it. If you want it, it's yours for the shipping. I can probably scrounge a pallet somewhere. I don't know if it runs or not, but I do know it was removed to make space for a Chevy V8 conversion, so I believe it was running when pulled.

IIRC it has a Chrysler 3-speed auto tranny bolted to it -- you can have that, too, or save the weight if you don't need it.