H.O. CEL with a issue

My 91...

The Jeep runs funny till the coolant temp gets to 210. I can take off down the highway and it constantly looses power causing a 'bucking' motion in the truck. When the truck is idling cold, it will act like its going to shut down but it usually doesnt just looses most of the RPMs and then revs back up.

I have been driving it quite a bit, does it everytime. I also get a CEL when it starts jerking, loosing power on the highway.

But once the rig warms up to full operating temp, shes runs great. :hmm:

Any ideas?

The only things I have done to it is change the oil and fuel filter. The cap and wires looks new'er'.

Also, I don't have a 91+ owners manual to learn how to check out what the CEL means.. Anyone got any input for that?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading over on Allpar that a bad ASD relay could throw the 36 fault code and not throw the ASD fault code 42. Try swapping out the ASD relay with another similar relay in the PDC (Power Distribution Center), right side engine bay, then clear the codes by disconnecting the battery. Can't hurt.

Sounds like the IAC unit located on the throttle body.

clean or replace?

I remember reading over on Allpar that a bad ASD relay could throw the 36 fault code and not throw the ASD fault code 42. Try swapping out the ASD relay with another similar relay in the PDC (Power Distribution Center), right side engine bay, then clear the codes by disconnecting the battery. Can't hurt.

Going to go give this a go now.

Ok..

The relay did fix 75% of the problem. It still chuggs but just a tiny bit. Its managable and did get the truck back on the road to DD status. I'm going to change the IAC.

And the CEL light came back. Have yet to check to see if its the same code.