mj to wj upgrade ?

The only reason to use the WJ set up is for the brakes and the cross over steering. You didn't give much info on what you're trying to accomplish, or whether you've used the whole WJ axle or just the knuckles for the steering.

I have WJ knuckles with standard XJ/MJ outers and a 5x4.5" pattern on my rig, the driver's side knuckle is an export WJ knuckle which allows for a hybrid type of hi-steering. This is the kit I have: http://www.downeastoffroad.com/HTML/HighSteerInstr.html

But you could build your own easily. You don't need the ford stuff. Use XJ/MJ unit bearings with a spacer. Not sure how thick it is, I think 3/16". You might want to call them and ask.....here's a pic from their website:

clip_image006.jpg

Now all I'm runnin is the stock steering set up with a drop pitman arm, and a stock dana 30. With the wj knuckles, drag link, and tie bar I was looking to beef up the steering, and reduce drag link angle at the same time. The problem I'm finding out it that in order to use your exsisting hubs it has to be spaced to insure the correct alignment between the ball joints and the hub.And then the rotor has to be redrilled to match the 5.4 1/2 bolt pattern. But I've heard that you can use an Explorer sport trac rotor instead of redrilling.

Just tryin to get as much info as possible before i spend more money than i need to. Also my reasoning for wanting junk yard parts is when something breaks its readily available at most any part store. you don't have to leave your rig on the trail for 2 weeks while a special order part arrives.

I cannot comment on the WJ parts application, but the Ford rotors will mount with a little work on the stock unit bearing. My Rubi (and soon to be my 92 MJ) runs the Vanco brake kit which uses Ford Explorer rotors. I had to remove a very small portion of the OD of the unit bearing to fit the Explorer rotors. Piece of cake with an angle grinder and a helper to spin the axle.

Yea, I've look all over different forums on doing this swap but everyone has something different to say. so i guess its going to be one of those deals where I just dig into it and see what I need.

I've read and gathered enough info now that I have a pretty good idea on what to expect.

Gotta get somethin figured out before July anyways I want that steering on there before we go to tuttle off road park. My stock steering always seems to be bent in a different direction after each trip. LOL. But Thanks for the advice

If your main objective is simply stronger steering, why retrofit WJ parts when bolt on (or darn close) one ton cross over steering can be had for pretty cheap? I always thought the big advantage of the WJ knuckles was the ability to run bigger brakes.

Shoot me a PM when your trip gets closer. If my rig is together (going to CO the first of August) I'd love to join you. Also, within the next month I will be removing my ORO U-Turn cross over steering for the Currie set up; could be yours for cheap. I just can't get used to how the cross over steering feels on the road even though I love it wheeling.

There is merit to the WJ hi-steering, much higher, and essentially no worries about the tie rod binding or busting the tie rod on obstacles.

Even if you put near 1-ton tie rods on the stock kuckles, which are under the knuckle. Once you get above 3-4" of lift that passenger side knuckle tie rod will bind with a very minimal amount of droop. There is no 4"-6" lift that is worth its weight in salt if the passenger side tie rod remains under the knuckle.....FACT!

If you put a lift higher than 3" on your MJ, do not remain under the knuckle,,,,,it will bind and eventually break with offroad use.

I am doing it for the brake upgrade also my brakes are a little on the wimpy side with 33 in tires and I'm wanting to upgrade to 35's eventually.

That would be awsome if you could make it I've never met another cc member, not too many of us are in missouri. :clapping:

Brake upgrades are one of those things you don't think about until you need it. Big brakes are my most favorite mod on my TJ. The sound of a 35 locking up is quite unique.

Tuttle is a short 40 minute drive for me :)

Tuttle is 2 1/2 hours for me. Our trip is planned for july to leave friday the 13th-sunday the 15th. We are planning to camp out there friday and saturday. Do you know if you can camp in the park, or do we need to go somewhere else?