Gauge Swap 91+ in a 89?

Question is in the title. Can I put gauges out of a 91+ in a 89 MJ. I know that ther is a difference in color and speedo cable, but what will make it work? The reason I wanted to know is because I have the column shift and made the cut for the indicator to go on the gauges, but all I'm finding are the ones in 91+. Could I simply remove the gauges from the white unit (without removing the needles) and put them in the blue one? Any advice is appreciated

Question is in the title. Can I put gauges out of a 91+ in a 89 MJ. I know that ther is a difference in color and speedo cable, but what will make it work? The reason I wanted to know is because I have the column shift and made the cut for the indicator to go on the gauges, but all I'm finding are the ones in 91+. Could I simply remove the gauges from the white unit (without removing the needles) and put them in the blue one? Any advice is appreciated

No. "Could I simply remove the gauges from the white unit (without removing the needles) and put them in the blue one"? To translate, the "white unit" is the HO gauge cluster housing; the "blue one" is the Renix. Three of the gauges are different and use different inputs, the clusters have different mounting bosses for the gauges, the 91+ is an electronic speedo - not cable driven, the printed circuit foil is entirely different between the two gauge pod housings, the fuel gauge is a different polarity, etc. etc. No way.

No. "Could I simply remove the gauges from the white unit (without removing the needles) and put them in the blue one"? To translate, the "white unit" is the HO gauge cluster housing; the "blue one" is the Renix. Three of the gauges are different and use different inputs, the clusters have different mounting bosses for the gauges, the 91+ is an electronic speedo - not cable driven, the printed circuit foil is entirely different between the two gauge pod housings, the fuel gauge is a different polarity, etc. etc. No way.

Hey man, thanks alot!!!! I read in jpmagazine that 99+ manifold will directly bolt to the renix one and give 10 - 25 more HP. Is that tru? Is it really that simple or will something else have to be changed?

Hey man, thanks alot!!!! I read in jpmagazine that 99+ manifold will directly bolt to the renix one and give 10 - 25 more HP. Is that tru? Is it really that simple or will something else have to be changed?

Bolt DIRECTLY to the Renix head and give 10 to 25 more horsepower?

Another "No."

Will the later manifold bolt on? Yes. Do the ports line up? No. The ports are shaped differently and the newer heads have the ports located higher, so if you just bolt a late model manifold to a Renix head you have a massive port mismatch, and IMHO there's no way that can increase the horsepower. And, assuming you're talking about the intake manifold, the throttle body and the TB mount are different, so you have to either adapt the Renix throttle body to the late model manifold, or adapt the manifold to the Renix throttle body.

As you have been told, you need to use a 90 or earlier gauge cluster in your 89 column shifter truck.

I have been contemplating doing the same swap in my 91 column shifter truck.

For me the "best" option seems to be get tech decal to cover the old fuel guage. That would let me keep my column shift gear indicator. Then replace the tach face with the old fuel face (now with a tach decal). My current problem is where to get a decal for the tach.

I have been contemplating doing the same swap in my 91 column shifter truck.

For me the "best" option seems to be get tech decal to cover the old fuel guage. That would let me keep my column shift gear indicator. Then replace the tach face with the old fuel face (now with a tach decal). My current problem is where to get a decal for the tach.

That would work for the 91-92. Good plan. Check out this thread:

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/Whitebground.htm

You would have to change all the gauge faces, but could be nice.

Don,

Have been aware of GoJeep's decals. Suspect that is the best solution (especially for the price). Not sure how the white line at the bottom of the tack will match to the shift indicator cut out. Guess we could raise it up just a fraction of an inch.

Well, I just broke down and ordered the stock decals in white from GoJeep. Now I have no excuses to not do the cluster swap!

JJ

• 3 weeks later...