1986 4x4 Front Left Axle U - Joint Replacement

Hello everyone,

My front left axle U-Joint has way to much play and can be heard when turning. Today I took the tire off, calipers, rotor, axle nut, and all the hardware to pull the axle out along with the u joint and splinned part. (Not so good on terminology but I think you get the point). Unfortunately, after removing all the hardware the axle would not come out. I tried PB blaster, rubber mallet, and prying it off with two screw drivers but the axle would not budge. So I came here for advise.

Do I need to remove a clip in the differential to remove the axle? I have search around and could not find one straight answer.

Any special techniques for removing the axle? I do not have a gear puller readily available.

I have heard of issues when the cars weight is still on part of the shaft/bearing, do both front tires have to be off the ground, or can I jack up just one side?

I know in order to pull the U joint and axle through the hole the tires have to be more or less straight, any tips on getting this right or does it really not matter that much because you can disconnect the steering link and position it yourself?

I have double checked my work with:

http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/dana30wheelbearing.htm

and http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-2.htm

but the axle simply will not come out

Thanks in advance.

You need to take the bearing assembly off. I loosen the three bolts about a 1/4" and give them a good whack with a dead-blow hammer.........has worked for me.

Others do the socket and crank the steering wheel method.......someone will come along with a pic I bet.

Yes the bearing assembly will not come off, my fault on the bad nomenclature/explanation. When you say you hit it with a hammer I take it your hitting the head of the bolt, away from the center of the car as if it was a nail to push the bearing assembly off? Thanks for the reply.

I broke two sockets and bent a bolt trying to do the power steering press-out the method shown above. After much frustration I placed a tireless steel rim onto the hub without brake rotors and wedged a two by four between the rim and chassis then turned the wheel in order to press it out. Thanks for the help