Flywheel Dust Cover

I was hearing a loud screeching noise every time I depressed my clutch pedal. Thinking it was my TOB, I replaced it and threw it back together only to find that it was still a screechy mess. So I decided to replace my pilot bearing, which was jammed so tightly in my crankshaft that I had to resort to using a dremel to grind the thing out. Alas, no respite from the banshee screech.

So after tearing apart my drivetrain and putting it back together twice in one weekend, I realized the noise coming from me disengaging the clutch was caused by the engine side of the flywheel grinding up against the dust cover.

I apologize for the terrible picture quality, but the scoring goes almost halfway around the plate and the flywheel had carved a crevice almost 2 millimeters deep in some spots.

I tried bending the plate, which didn't make any meaningful difference. I "solved" the problem by slapping a couple of thick washers as spacers on the bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing, but I'm worried this may be a symptom of a larger problem.

Does anyone have any advice to offer? I think my motor mounts may have failed and threw my alignment out of whack.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply.

The crankshaft is secure and does not move at all, axially. I don't believe the thrust bearing is to blame.

I'm thinking the motor and transmission mounts are trash. I'm not going to bother replacing the pukey mount, but I will replace the MM's.

I'll post an update next week.

Edit: Thanks for the help, all. No opinions are unwanted here!