Internal Slave to External Slave Conversion

Look closely at the first picture, and you will see that the "sleeve" is actually

a component bolted to the front of the transmission called a retainer. Held

by 8 or 9 bolts, it supports the front shaft and provides the surface for the

TOB to slide on.

AH! I was told I needed the bearing retainer... When I bought the bell housing the guy sold me that plate but it looks identical to the one that's on the transmission now. There is no sleeve on it.

So I should be looking for a bearing retainer...

That sleeve is one piece with that plate or at least it came off as one assembly when I tore mine apart. I have an AX-5, exterior slave. Had it all apart a couple weeks ago cause I snapped the 1st/2nd shift rod and had to replace it. Not sure what ya got but if it doesnt have that sleeve the throwout will not fit on there right. That would explain your problem.

I'm not sure where your located or if its worth it but I know a guy at a local jeep shop herein town. I know he does have an ax-5 core or two. He might be willing to sell ya one and ship it to ya. Not sure about the cost though. Ya would have to talk to him about that. If your interested let me know and I'll give ya his contact info.

I'm not sure where your located or if its worth it but I know a guy at a local jeep shop herein town. I know he does have an ax-5 core or two. He might be willing to sell ya one and ship it to ya. Not sure about the cost though. Ya would have to talk to him about that. If your interested let me know and I'll give ya his contact info.

I'm interested. I can't find one online for less than 100 bucks.

The place is called Back Country 4x4 & jeep parts headquarters. The guys name is Jake. Phone # 702-873-2950

Tell him Jim talked to him about it. I told him you may be calling today so he should remember and get ya taken care of.

Good luck with it.

The place is called Back Country 4x4 & jeep parts headquarters. The guys name is Jake. Phone # 702-873-2950

Tell him Jim talked to him about it. I told him you may be calling today so he should remember and get ya taken care of.

Good luck with it.

Thanks! I may give him a call. Thats the cheapest price I've seen yet.

Tho, since I'm not really pressed for time and I've already spent too much money I'll probably look around for a bit long and see if I can find it dirt cheap locally. If I can't find one I'll be giving him a call. Thanks for the contact info.

It just dawned on me.....When I tore my trans down to fix the busted shift rod there never was a retainer clip on there. Been driving the truck for over a year since I got it and never had issues due to it being gone. Never put one in either when I put it all back together. Up until now I didn't even know there was suppose to be one on there. I don't think ya really need a clip. lol At least it doesn't seem that I do anyway

The clip would just be for holding the thingy in place until its all bolted up... That's why I wasn't so worried about it originally.

Now, I'm a tard for not missing the correct bearing retainer...

Does the different bearing retainer use the same seal? It's not leaking, doubt I'll replace it...

Well I guess i'm safe for not having that clip. good to know. Not sure on the seal. When I did mine since I had to tear into the trans I bought the gasket kit and it came with a seal.

At this point I'll probably drive it off the end of the dock into the pond on the back of my property before I take it back apart and fix it.

HAHA Wouldn't blame ya one bit. I've come very close to doing something similar myself. My plan was to drag it out in the desert and use it for AR target practice!

I'm honestly wishing I had just put the internal slave in it and called it good. This is a 400 dollar truck and the only reason I'm making this effort is its a rust free truck with a good shape cab. The bed, fenders, hood and grille look like crap but all that can be replaced to look good.

I don't even know what the plan is with the truck right now. It'll probably be used to haul trash to the dump for a while. I spend all the big dollars on the 4 XJs in the yard.

Pretty much the same here except mine was free and completely rust free top and bottom as it has spent its 26 year life in the nevada desert. The paint is shot from the sun and heat but all nuts and bolts, parts and pieces come off like it was a brand new truck which is great.

Just slowly working on a full restoration.

Found a buddy of mine that just happened to have a bearing retainer just sitting on a shelf. Getting it for the price of shipping. Sweet.

Congrats man! Hopefully this solves your problem!