Recommended maintenance and checks after buying a Comanche?

Buy a multimeter tester. You will need it. Check the harmonic balancer for separation, its two pieces and will separate. If your belt starts squealing check that first. Check to see if you have clutch fluid leaking on your Fuse box. Vacuum hoses are important and your truck will run bad if they leak or connected wrong. All the sensors in the truck should be tested. If one is bad you may not notice and replacing it could make a world of deference in gas mileage and preformance. Find the link to the sensor testing site and book mark it. Drive over bumbs at different speeds to see if you have death wobble..haha. But first check your bank account. Start using the search function on the site to become accustom to the problems before they happen. It will save you lots of money. I'm sure someone has a better list then me.

Put gas in it and go! jamminz.gif

I would change all of the fluids: Coolant, Power Steering, Brake, Transmission, Clutch (if manual), Transfercase, Axles and Engine.

While changing all of the fluids I would inspect all rubber and plastic lines and replace any that are cracking, leaking or dry rotted.

I would then grease anything with a grease fitting: TRE's (at pitman arm, drag link and at knuckles), ball joints and anything else with a fitting (sometimes aftermarket driveshaft, shackles, trackbar, etc)

I would also do a basic tune up: Plugs, wires, dizzy, fuel filter, and air filter

Lastly, I would remove the throttle body and clean it. Re-install with new gasket.

Prepare to do the Ujoints. More than likely they are over 20 years old.

Some good info here!

It's a 91 4.0 HO -- I bought it last year but just started using it as a DD.

So far I've replaced all the filters, oil, trans fluid (auto), coolant, radiator, trans. cooling lines (had holes in em), CCV hose (to airbox), TPS and cleaned the throttle body. I'll put the rest of this stuff on my list!

• 2 weeks later...