Clutch Issue, Need Input

Hey guys, I was coming home from work today and I stopped to put gas in the MJ and after hoping back in and starting the Jeep something strange happened. I had zero clutch pedal and I could not get the Jeep into or out of gear. I still have hydraulic fluid in the reservoir, there is nothing leaking but I have no clutch pedal. Any ideas? I cannot even force the trans into gear in neutral with the Jeep off. I was able to make it home, although shifting the Jeep was interesting. Input is very much appreciated guys

RockMJ

I'm guessing the slave cylinder went bad. I guess if I am going to replace that I might as well replace the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and the master cylinder. Anything else I should plan on replacing while I'm in there?

RockMJ

Trans should be able to shift normally into all gears with it stopped and the engine not running. If it won't do that, I think you have problems beyond the clutch.

I probably should have specified that I was not on flat ground at the time but the e-brake was on. I tried it in my driveway which is flat and I can go through the gears alright, its just a matter of not being able to disengage the clutch to shift the Jeep when its running. Such a PITA lol

RockMJ

Well I just tried to bleed the system to see if I had pressure in the lines. With the clutch pumped and held down and the bleeder broken open the fluid is spitting out in a good stream. Still after trying to purge the system of any air there is still no clutch pressure. Really lost here so input is definitely welcome

RockMJ

Well I am going to try and replace the clutch master cylinder tomorrow with a new unit and see if that fixes the problem. When I was under the Jeep it looks like the lines for the slave cylinder are pretty new so I'm glad to see its not the original one at least. I'm hoping this will fix it and ill be back up and running tomorrow night buy any input or similar stories are certainly welcome

RockMJ

If you've got good pressure out of the bleeder, then I don't see how it could be the master. I'm thinking your slave is the culprit. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've seen way too many reports of aftermarket internal slaves failing in a short amount of time.

I'm afraid you're most likely going to have to pull your transmission. :wrench:

Yeah, I was under the Jeep and I held a mirror up to the access port and with the clutch being pressed in and out, there is zero movement from the parts on the inside. I'm ordering up the parts as we speak so ill do it this weekend and replace everything in the system minus the hydraulic lines

RockMJ