title woes

chastings

I was bored today... compared the registration to my vin on my cherokee, only to find their is a typo. No biggie, but then I compared it to the title and it matches the registration card too. So, somewhere along the line a state worker listed part of the vin as LK1L when it should be L1KL when doing the title transfer. I've already started the process of correcting the title with the NC DMV, I have to bring in my current title and fill out cancellation paperwork so we can get a correct title. This is total BS, not my fault and I bet it's going to cost some money too, as its the govt. Oh, and I get to stand in line at the DMV. Oh well, I'd rather correct it now than have it come back to haunt me later. What a PITA! I feel like I opened a can of worms, but the DMV assured me that this sometimes happens and isn't too tough to fix, we'll see....

An acquaintance of mine is a police officer. For kicks and giggles he ran the plates on his Ford Ranger and was quite surprised when it came up as a CHrysler New Yorker.

Turns out the car lot where he bought it gave him the wrong title, and he never paid attention to it. Don't know how he rectified it.

I already deciphered it, everything is correct the only digit out of place is the location where it was built. The vin says it was made in toledo oh, but the title vin gives no indication since its a letter instead of a number. Bummer on the hole "new yorker" thing, though

I had a similar problem in PA with two Jeeps! They mis-spelled my last name on my REG and title...TWICE! If I wanted to correct it I would have to fill out a form and send in for a new title and registration and a whole bunch of other non sense. All that PITA paperwork for a mistake some idiot made in Harrisburg DMV headquarters! On top of that I'm sure I would have to pay too.

Any time you find a discrepancy in a legal document, title, registration, deed, whatever, get it corrected ASAP. Sooner or later, somebody down the line is going to notice it and the longer time passes the harder it will be to correct. People move die etc, etc..

I already started the process of fixing it yesterday... Raleigh has sent an email to the local office in my hometown with instructions on how to correct the title. Its a bummer, don't like going through the hassle of all this and almost wish I hadn't noticed, but I did. It's an 89 cherokee laredo, fully loaded (for that time), nothing fancy by todays standards but I've got a good bit of change tied up in it and would like everything to be legit. My insurance cards have the correct vin (only because I read it from the car when notifying my agent) and I hate having a discrepancy between the two just in case.... NC does vehicle safety inspections and the vin has always been copied directly from the registration card (with the incorrect number), but what if the next time the number gets pulled from the dash? I assume I'd be right where I am now, best to deal with it and get it out of the way. image_209027.gif