Downpipe Stud Removal

I did a search on this, I couldn't find anything..just looking for some pointers here.

The P/O did a complete hackjob repair on the exhaust on my truck, to top it off, he had new pipes bent up and everything..except they're all the wrong sizes so they're crushed together with exhaust clamps, it's a complete mess, and I'm not looking to replace it...however I had to fix it, as the cat rotted off the muffler. I fixed that part.

Now the problem I'm having, is the exhaust manifold studs are completely phuk-ed. They're stripped out and rotten, my question is how can I go about replacing them?

Do I have to pull the manifold and drill them out?

Can I just use an air-chisel and beat them out with the manifold in the vehicle?

Can I use a hammer and punch?

They're seized in there pretty good, I don't wanna risk cracking the manifold...so what would be my best option? I was hoping to have this done and the truck on the road either tomorrow or Saturday; but if I have to pull the manifold it's gonna wait. :(

well depends how bad the studs are but if you can get a nut on them you can double nut them and back them out( you run one nut on all the way to the base and then another up to that one and tighten the two nuts together and then you should be able to back the studd out using the first nut) sounds weird but it works. or if you have a studd tool, which I'm guerssing you don't...

comanche.gif

Had something like that a couple weeks ago. '87 MJ, 4.0L. Soaked with penetrating oil for a week before tried removing. Double nuts trick and stud removal tool. No work. Tried heating with torch. Nothing. Finally had the studs wore down till they were flush with the manifold. Removed manifold. Drilled out center of studs. Tried EZ Out. Ground hole out in one. Snapped EZ Out off in the other. Threw manifold into scrap and replaced with another one.

That's a pretty neat trick, I'll have to remember that..unfortunately, if I could get a nut on enough to actually thread it tight, I'd have no problem! I can't thread a nut back on, the threads are bad, haha. I might try re-tapping the threads for the fun of it, but I can't imagine it will work.

I do have another manifold, but I'd raaather not have to swap them out since that's a bit of a job...especially considering it's a job I'm not looking to do at the moment.

I was going to replace mine because the threads had wornj some. Ordered

replacements, and they're knurled just like lug nut studs. Had the manifold

off and observed that the heads are actually spot welded to the flange in

two places. I cut this weld back as best I could with a dremel, and then

placed the flange over a socket to provide support. I wailed on those

miserable ba#$%@ds for a long time with my small sledge and they would

not budge. I decided that mine will last a while longer as is. I hope

you have better success, and suggest you just grind the heads off flush

and then drill them out. I suggest you not beat on them unless the manifold

is removed.