'86 2.8

How in holy heck do you change the fuel filter, the one on the carb, on these dern things. About a week ago it lost power on the top end. I put it down to water, ice in the gas. A can of heet, a couple almost warm days and a tank of gas didn't fix it so I was going to check the pressure and filters. The only way I can figure to remove the line and the filter on the carb is to remove the carb. It's a solid line and there isn't enough slack in it to remove it from the filter housing or to remove the housing. Am I missing something or are these things really that asinine to work on?

Don't feel to bad , it really is a pain but after doing it a few times you will get it . It's been along time since I changed it but it is verry possible and all you need IIRC is a 1" wrench and 1/2 or 9/16 wrench , use the 1" wrench to hold the filter housing wile you break the line loose and remove and carfully pry out of the way then you will want break loose the filter housing and remove , replace the filter and reassemble and don't forget the spring and where exactly it goes . Now I did this like 3 or 4 times till I almost crossthreaded the filter housing and it was about then that I cut the line and installed a in line filter and some rubber hose . Now the idea with the spring and the stock filter is that it's supposed to be kind of a antidrain back for the fuel but I never had any starting problems after I did this . I have since gone to an electric pump etc...

I got the line off the filter and the filter unscrewed from the carb but the line is to far in the filter to remove it. If you bend the line then your going to cross thread the nut trying to put it back in. I like the idea of cutting the line and inserting a in line filter.