Derusting Parts

Guys I use to use this method long ago both in large and small scale. I made a new unit to preserve those parts that can possibly be hard to come by on my new Comanche Project...Camera was broke so all PICs are taken with my cell phone....

I wanted to see the effects on the rebar. Did the rebar show signs of oxidation, or did it actually disolve the Iron from the rebar into the salt bridge solution? Didn't the bracket get crystallized with Na+ ions?

Did it appear that the oxidation on the bracket was dissolved off or did iron redeposit and partially fill the voids created by the corrosion. In the pictures it doesnt really look like it did any better than naval jelly does. Granted it's not as caustic using electrolysis and probably leaves more metal than grinding and sanding.

• 1 month later...

The rebar as the sacrifical anode crudes up and after a dozen times or so I have to replace the rebar since with works down to nothing. The rest of the rust falls to the bottom. The metal just turning into rust actually will turn into iron oxide that will be a light black coating. However what metal that is gone cannot be replaced. I like it since it is non hazardous and with a 55gal plastic barrel I am able to do large tractor parts and plow parts also.

I'm currently doing this to the little bracket that screw to the bottom of our trucks to hold one end of a rod of the transfer case linkage. It and the donor truck were too badly rusted to risk unscrewing it (didn't want to twist off the screws). I simply cut the whole section of floor out and stuck it in a bucket. For the anode I used a 1/4" steel disc that a hole saw cut out when I was making lower control arm bracket braces. I checked on it a few times today and decided to let it go overnight. Water looks disgusting, though, with a thick layer of brown scum floating on top.

I cut an old acetylene tank in half. filled it full of water and lye. then did a cast turbo housing from banks off my dad's dodge. It was spotless. Inside and out in 72 hours. I had to put a fan on my battery charger because it was pushing 8 amps continuously.

I heard good things about using lye but the caustic nature is why I have not tried it. Now I have gone to a feed store and farm supply and bought farm grade vinegar. The percentage of acid is 20% or more compared to store bought that is 5% but it is getting harder to find. Just make sure you wear eye protection and gloves. Plus it is an awesome spot weed killer!