F&R Dana 44 w/ springs

Replacing the stock rear axle isn't that bad or difficult. Replacing the front axle with something other than a D30 gets very costly because it will either be a Rubicon D44 which usually fetch over $1k and still have the D30 outers, or you pay $200 or more for all the brackets plus labor to install them on the new axle to use it with a 4 link suspension, or you spend more money modifying your truck to use leaf springs up front, which opens up a whole new can of worms (like keeping the steering links and leaf spring from trying to be in the same place at the same time.

If you really want to upgade your axles, save up money while you do research to figure out what exactly you want to do, as in what axle and how to make it work, then start looking for and collecting the parts needed. Don't just look at an axle, say "that looks nice" and then worry about how to make it fit.

FWIW, I am still running a D30 up front, locked with 35" tires. Yes, I've had to completely rebuild it once, have had to replace grenaded pinion bearings once and go through multiple axle shafts, u joints and unit bearings a year. But $8 for a unit bearing, or $15 for a shaft plus $27 for a new u joint (or $35 if I want to try the Alloy USA chromoly ones) are what I can afford. $600 for what I want under it I can currently not.

I'm right there with you man, and fully understand. Money is tight being a highschool senior/college student. I have both stock axles with a 3" trailmaster lift and runnin 33's. I'm not looking for anything immediate since I have a lift, but down the road I would like to figure out a good setup and go for the SOA lift. I'm new with MJ's since this is my first car iv ever owned myself, so learning as i go along and just tryin to figure out the axle situation....thanks for the advice tho :thumbsup: Its really appreciated