5.2, 5.7 bolted to a AW4

jimoshel

I know this has been asked a 100 times and maybe, or maybe not, done. Will a Chrysler 5.2,5.7 bolt up to a AW4 transmission? Tried search with negative results. I am NOT asking about the strength of the AW4. I am NOT asking about TCU'S, sensors, speedo adapters, etc. I am only asking about physically bolting them together. :popcorn:

IIRC the bolt pattern is the same, but the starter is on the other side of the bellhousing, so while they will bolt together they will not bolt together with the starter.

at least thats my understanding of it.

TCU is easy to wire up as a standalone for the AW4.

Just checked. They are on the same side. The right. I felt sure that if it could be done, somebody has already done it. Guess I'm just gonna have to hook the winch up and try it myself. Got half a dozen AW4'S out but all the V8'S are still in a vehicle.

Just checked. They are on the same side. The right. I felt sure that if it could be done, somebody has already done it. Guess I'm just gonna have to hook the winch up and try it myself. Got half a dozen AW4'S out but all the V8'S are still in a vehicle.

5.2 may be on the right but I KNOW the 4.7 is on the left and I'm pretty sure the newer 5.7 is on the left as well.

That's the info I was looking for. Thnx F. T. Dog. In the last year I have had 10-12 XJ and Grand Cherokees come into the yard. If it had a 4.0-AW4 combo then it was wrecked, but with a good running power train. One exception. The engine blew a rod . Of the WJ's one was wrecked, good power train. All the others. the tranny was bad but with good engines. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this or what? I still say the 42-44-46 series trans are the automatic version of the BA10. :yes:

That's the info I was looking for. Thnx F. T. Dog. In the last year I have had 10-12 XJ and Grand Cherokees come into the yard. If it had a 4.0-AW4 combo then it was wrecked, but with a good running power train. One exception. The engine blew a rod . Of the WJ's one was wrecked, good power train. All the others. the tranny was bad but with good engines. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this or what? I still say the 42-44-46 series trans are the automatic version of the BA10. :yes:

Yes, that's exactly what those transmissions are. That's why there are tons of ZJ's on craigslist for cheap, they almost all have transmission problems.

iv had to zj's 1 4.0 with 269,000kms and 1 5.2 with 218,000kms both had 42re tranny's and not once did they skip a beat and i have a heavy foot and am hard on my jeeps alot of reverse to drive reverse to drive break burns etc lots of durty boring in mud and rocks ... the key to those trannys is keep the filter and fluid clean.. and extend the vent lines ... its usally when u get water in the tranny is when they go bad..... but I'm very very anal when it comes to fluids and makin sure bolts and seals r good .. that might be why iv had such good luck with them