96 XJ seats into a 89 MJ

I used 88 MJ brackets on 90 XJ buckets. Had to grind the mounts off and bolt the MJ bench brackets to the XJ seats. It worked fine.

BUT

95+ seat rails are 10" on center at the slider. MJ brackets are 6" on center at the slider. Newer seats mount differently. It's not a bolt in. MJ floor contours are different than XJ's even for the same years.

Ya gotta modify, fab or settle for older seats...and even then you have to mod. Also the XJ rocker sliders will not work...unless you are short and don't need any head room.

I used 88 MJ brackets on 90 XJ buckets. Had to grind the mounts off and bolt the MJ bench brackets to the XJ seats. It worked fine.

BUT

95+ seat rails are 10" on center at the slider. MJ brackets are 6" on center at the slider. Newer seats mount differently. It's not a bolt in. MJ floor contours are different than XJ's even for the same years.

Ya gotta modify, fab or settle for older seats...and even then you have to mod. Also the XJ rocker sliders will not work...unless you are short and don't need any head room.

You are right about the rocker seats!!! That's why I'm changing the seats, you can't get in the damn thing!

My one 87 MJ had the newer style Cherokee seats in it. It had wood blocks bolted to the floor, with the seats bolted to the blocks. Beside wood not being structurally sound enough to hold the seat in case of accident, another problem is that (at 6' 5") my head was almost against the headliner and I was looking through the very top edge of the windshield.