Ford 8.8 diff whine

Hello gents, I have a certain whine on my 8.8 that I'm trying to diagnose. I've searched and everyone talks about whine during acceleration . The diff has 225k miles, 4.10 ratio.

The whine only happens while crusing at a constant speed with just enough throttle to keep the truck at speed. It goes away during acceleration and deceleration.

the ring and pinion look good with normal wear, what do you think it could be? worn bearings given the mileage?

Do you know if anyone has had there hands in the diff recently? That does seem like a lot of miles on the original bearings, it could be possible that the pinion bearing is going south on you letting your pinion gear shift around a bit while floating at cruse. Can you grab the yoke and feel loads of backlash? Also if you allready have the cover off you could try prying on the carrier left to right to see if the carrier shifts side to side.

Ring and pinion should probably be okay, open up the diff cover and visually inspect the gears, if the teeth look worn in the center, are pitted, or there are metal shavings in the fluid, if your finger nails catch on the teeth of the gears, its time to replace them. 225k is a ton of miles, and the components are probably getting tired. My first thought is the bearings, friend had his 8.8 whining alot around 40mph and that was the problem for him. Hope this helps!

-Nate

Thanks Nate!

I opened up the diff to look at the gears and they look good, the teeth are smooth without any pitting. I will be intalling new bearings in it as soon as the kit comes in, summit said 4-10 days. I also ordered a solid collar to replace the crush sleeve. quick question, do the pinion shims go behind the bearing? or do they go between the bearing race and the housing?