Starter Recommendation

Usually choice #1, when not NLA, but your dealer is apparently

more generous than mine. Dlr price here is $204 which puts it in

the company of some of the higher performance units, and I was

curious if anyone has experience with those.

I bought my '88 XJ new in January of 1988. The original starter lasted until about 1997 -- call it ten years. I replaced it with one from AutoZone, which I had to replace about a year ago.

IMHO, go to any of the parts chains and buy their premium starter. It'll have a lifetime warranty.

Wish I had the time to order one of those at $148, but needed today. Found a dealer

who's price was $170 and bought OEM. Got home and swapped it in, only to notice the

plastic solenoid end cap is busted. On a new, fresh out of the box, OEM starter. The

only one he had. Works really good, but looks like I'll be doing some surgery by swapping

the old starter's solenoid cap onto the new starter. BTW, it sure made me cringe to

put an OEM part into my American jeep that had a sticker on it that said "mitsubishi".

AaRRRGHHH !

BTW, it sure made me cringe to put an OEM part into my American jeep that had a sticker on it that said "mitsubishi".

AaRRRGHHH !

Yeah, cause it's not like originally foreign manufactures are making more things in the US sold for the US than American companies outsourcing. Dodge Charger, engines in Mexico which are shipped to Canada where everything is put together then sold to the US, globalization!