PDC Terminals Needed

Well, I've bitten off a real challenge. I decided my electric fan

(the 10 blade OEM from 97+ XJ) draws too much current for the

original 14 gauge wire. This is based on popping the 20 amp fuse.

I've pulled a 10 guage wire through the harness from fan to PDC

(and boy was that fun!). Now I need to find some new PDC spade

sockets to crimp onto the wire. I need two sockets for the relay

and one for the fuse. The relay socket is marked "781" and "A-322",

while the fuse socket is marked "18 SX37". They're tiny. They're

not really reuseable. Getting the PDC out and apart wasn't too

bad. I suspect finding those new sockets will be a challenge. Any

leads will be much appreciated! Shown is an image of the wire with

sockets between fuse and relay from underside of the PDC.

Thanks for the lead! Those folks have just about every connector

known to man. Spent a long time looking, found several that were

close, and then the light bulb came on. Went to the JY, opened

a PDC and harvested the terminals needed. Them I soldered them

to my heavier wire and reinserted them into their respective sockets.

All is well, no more worry about wire-melting fan current.

You replaced your original five square blade aux fan with the newer 10-blade fan and started blowing the 20A fuse? I know of several people who have done this (including myself years ago) and never blew the fuse. If this is the case, your "new" fan motor is drawing too many amps. Or are you talking about your second electric fan? :hmm:

Yep. Bought three of them (two plus a spare). All three run great. Any of the three

may pop 20 amp fuse, but not all the time. I decided I never want a harness melt-down

so I upped the wire to 10 gauge and the fuse to 30 amps. No problems yet. The second

fan runs from the Spal controller, also fused at 30 amps. My guess (I'm no electrician)

is that the undersize wire may have been a contributor. I also got rid of the long 14

gauge ground line and grounded to chassis right next to the fan. For reasons I may

never understand, truck runs 10 degrees hotter now. With both fans running. Measured

at the T-stat housing with Fluke 62 IR gun.

The fuse for the aux fan in the 2000 XJ (the new style fan) is a 40-amp fuse. Not surprising you're popping fuses like Chinese lady crackers on the 4th of July if you're trying to spin that baby through a 20-amp fuse.

That's odd. The only time my stock aux fan runs is when I'm using the A/C of course, or it comes on by itself when stuck in heavy traffic on 90*+ days. Maybe 3-4 times all summer did this happen. The rest of the time the SPAL controlled fan keeps me right at 210* on the gauge.

The only thing I can think of, providing the fan shrouds are nice and tight/close to the radiator, or your radiator itself, is that your electrical system is loaded down which does cause higher engine temps. I upgraded to the Dodge 136A alt and heavier mains cables because of the additional fan, H4 headlamps, power accessories, and other electrical stuff I've done.

Still have the original catalytic converter on?

Just saw Eagles post on the newer fan 40A fuse. I fuse both my fans (both 1998+ 10-blade fans) w. 20A fuses for each and have never popped a fuse. For years now.

EDIT: Just went and checked because it's been so long. Both my 10-blade fans are fused at 25A, not 20A.

Shrouds are tight to radiator, well as tight as the tab slots permitted. I have the 136amp alternator, and

it was fun shaving the aluminum bracket to make it fit. I have Kelley's mains cables. I have not yet (but

plan to) done the H4 upgrade. I have the OEM (export) resonator in place of the cataclysmic perverter.

I've got the CSF three row radiator and the Hesco scroll WP. Everything is clean, tight, and shipshape.

I bow to the eight slot altar every morning. I run 215 deg, with both fans spinning full, and no real load

on the motor, other than the load of those fans. 10 degrees higher than before the fan mod. Was hoping to

go the other way. Does anyone make a net I can use to hang blocks of dry ice in front of the radiator?

I'm hopeful that once we get to Montana this will all be just a memory. And, before anyone suggests it,

I just cannot bring myself to butcher the hood to add louvers. That's almost as bad as chrome. ;)