4 cylinder starting issues

I have the 4 cylinder in my Comanche and I don’t know why it’s not starting. I’m not sure where to start. But when I turn the key it makes the clicking noise like a dead battery, and also I can’t get the key out of the ignition I don’t know it won’t. Here me out it hasn’t been driven in a couple of years it’s a project jeep. But the guy I bought it from says it works. Has original 130xxx miles on it and it’s an 88 model basic.

here's the motor picture, the guy before me had this motor out because he spray painted it like 5 different ghey colors....

Battery side see idk if I'm missing parts or not it seems like i am. But i don't care about it running down the road yet i just want it to fire and run for a second or two. I know it does it have a intake too, I'm not a retard.

This is the starter

Help would be need, please and thank you.

So, let's begin with a couple basics:

1) measure the battery voltage to confirm a good battery (s/b >12v)

2) remove and clean the battery terminals and the connectors

3) check the connection where neg battery cable goes to fender

4) check the connection where pos battery cable goes to starter

5) verify the motor will turn by wrench (not locked up)

Is this an auto or manual trans?

6) if the first 5 steps check out good, let's try something risky.

Make sure truck is in neutral (man) or park (auto), E-brake on

and key off. Briefly jumper between the large and small terminals

at the starter and see if the motor cranks. The goal here isn't to

start the motor, just test the starter/solenoid. If it cranks, you

have a bad solenoid which is easily replaced. Try all this and

let's see what you find.

BTW, welcome to the group and........cute motor!

Your key may not come out without pushing down on a little button/lever near the ignition switch (where the key goes, not the actual switch). Your middle finger should fall right on it when you're turning the truck off. If you like, I'll go take a picture of mine tomorrow when it's light out, so you know what to look for.

yeah it turns over i used the internet for help, ha but the start is shot doesnt even spark with you hook it up to leads. so i soaked in some rust breaker over night gonna take it off today and get a new one. The key, now i do see that switch but i didnt know that had something to do with the key. But I'm check that out with i get home.

Your key may not come out without pushing down on a little button/lever near the ignition switch (where the key goes, not the actual switch). Your middle finger should fall right on it when you're turning the truck off. If you like, I'll go take a picture of mine tomorrow when it's light out, so you know what to look for.

The damn key will not come out even when i have the lever down and I'm like trying to turn it back it won't budge. But i can turn it forward like to start it..... Is there like a solenoid for this that may have gone out? Cause i was to take the key in and out be able to leave a battery hooked up to it and not make it drain dead....