help a noob out!!!

hi all, so i have a 2WD 87 comanche pioneer with the 4.0, 5 speed...its my daily driver as of now but as we all know we have to upgrade! so here's the thing i don't know much about the MJ's or what type of trans or front and rear axel came on this particular year and model i don't believe anything has been modified on it so it should all be stock just kinda wondering what i have now and what to start looking for to build the ultimate 4X4 i would still like to be able to drive it down the road so nothing crazy but i would like to know what kind of trans and transfer case would be best and what axels and gears would be best I'm thinking i want to go with 4.10 gears seems like thats the way most people go...but any info would be good just going on the search for some parts to get a project going this winter so if yall could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated thanks for ur help! will post pics when i get my camera working! comanche.gif

$150 is a bit pricey.

Your best bet would be to find a 4X4 Cherokee (XJ) or Comanche (MJ) donor vehicle and buy it.

Then swap everything over you need. :wrench:

If you try to piece it together, you'll likely end up frustrated with all the little pieces you didn't know about until you're well into the swap. :doh:

I scored a 90 4x4 5sp XJ for $400 locally earlier this year that I've been using for parts. Mine was already 4X4, but I swapped it over from a Auto to 5sp.

I'm constantly finding parts that I need and :idea: oh yea, just pull that off the XJ. :D

Go over to the Project MJ's forum on here and check out "The Family Truck".

That's mine and you'll get a sense for what I mean...

Good Luck and welcome!

$150 is a bit pricey.

Your best bet would be to find a 4X4 Cherokee (XJ) or Comanche (MJ) donor vehicle and buy it.

Then swap everything over you need. :wrench:

If you try to piece it together, you'll likely end up frustrated with all the little pieces you didn't know about until you're well into the swap. :doh:

I scored a 90 4x4 5sp XJ for $400 locally earlier this year that I've been using for parts. Mine was already 4X4, but I swapped it over from a Auto to 5sp.

I'm constantly finding parts that I need and :idea: oh yea, just pull that off the XJ. :D

Go over to the Project MJ's forum on here and check out "The Family Truck".

That's mine and you'll get a sense for what I mean...

Good Luck and welcome!

:agree: get a donor Cherokee or comanche, but as far as tranmissions go get a AX-15 with 23 spline output with a np231 TC.. that would have been stock from 89 up... keep in mind if you just do the part by part that there are 21 spline and 23 spline transfer cases and transmissions, and run away from any BA-10s you come across... 23 spline is better and more common (in my local Junk yards)

I got a 1989 XJ 4x4 for the conversion on dads MJ for just over $400, a donor is the cheapest and best option

Typo: early MJ's (pre-'91?) had 21 splines.

The first mod I would make would be to add a period button to your keyboard. Having a post that is easier to read is more likely to return a bunch of responses. Many just will not bother to read a post that is one run-on sentence. :D

If you are going to convert to 4wd, do as suggested and buy a complete donor vehicle. There are so many little parts that are a pain to source if you don't get everything. Trust me on that... :wrench:

Your '87 probably has the craptastic Dana 35 rear end that is considered to be a poor axle..but make sure that you verify your rear axle before swapping. Some tow package 2wd's got the Dana 44 and it is a desirable axle. The easiest path would be to find a donor '97 or newer XJ with a 29-spline 8.25 rear and a large-joint HP Dana 30 front to get the best readily available axle set for an MJ. You will need to relocate the rear axle perches to swap the rear axle but other than that the front will bolt right in in place of your 2wd beam axle front. Get the newer AX15 tranny to replace the also unloved Peugeot tranny you have at the same time. A swap to am AW4 auto/231 would also be a worthy upgrade to your current transmission. At least around me the auto XJ's are much more common than the 5-spds and generally cheaper.

If you ever wind up near Dayton, OH I have an open 8.25, a welded 8.25, and a HP D30 all with matching 3.55's that I could lay on ya for a song... I'd even throw in a set of high-end M.O.R.E. spring perches for the rear...8)

lol sorry about the period button kind of a habit!

But thank you for all the info i found a 91 comanche 4x4 that I'm looking at right now for a donor for 700$ so hopefully that comes through.

Also may sound kinda stupid but how would i tell a dana 35 from a dana 44 that you say some came with? they all kinda look the same to me lol but i will go out and look tonight and see what i got under there. thanks for the info everybody!