HELP!! headlights on truck is off!!

TOFIC

Hello everyone!! a brand new newbie here, been lurking, but now I have a unique problem

1990 Comanche, 4 liter 5 speed. 125,000 miles on her

As the topic suggests, the headlights stay on when I turn the truck off

Here are the things I have done.

New ignition switch

cleaned and realigned the dimmer switch

cleaned and checked the headlight switch

NO LUCK

tried unplugging the dimmer switch no change still on

tried unplugging the headlight switch nope no luck

tried unplugging the ignition switch, thought for sure this would work, nope still on.

unplugged the headlight and the dimmer switch both nope no change

a few simple checks and I discover it is the high beam circuit of the headlights.

I am at a loss on this one, anyone got any ideas what is going on??

She ran fine and worked well for the 3 weeks I have owned it and this just started a couple of days ago.

TOFIC

(a canuck trying to get ready for winter)

To be more specific, if your tuck has a headlight sentinel, they should be off when you first turn the lights off, then turn off the truck. If you turn the truck off first, then the lights the headlights only will stay on for about a minute.

This is what it looks like. If they break, they have been known to keep the head lamps on. If you have one, unplug it and see if the head lamps operate correctly with the switch.

Image Not Found

THANKS for the tip

will check this tonight but I do not recall seeing this switch anywhere under the dash.

Any specific place to look for this switch?? I noticed that it looks like it should be mounted somewhere?

are the wire colors in the picture very common over the years.

TOFIC

Well, looked at the Comanche this night and the plug you both mentioned is empty.

There was nothing plugged into it, someone has removed it already

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here?

Have pictures of the wiring if I ever figure out how to post them

TOFIC

Daytime running light module. Mine did the same thing. There could be other culprits but since you're a fellow Canadian and ALBERTAN that is my best guess.

Does your hi-beam indicator light on the dash stay on too? If so then I can guarantee this is the issue.

The control module should be behind the battery (if looking from the front), it's a 3"x3" black box screwed to the wheel well. You can just unplug it but you won't have daytime running lights or a hi-beam indicator light anymore. You can get one from any cherokee in the junk yard.

Hopefully this helps.

Daytime running light module. Mine did the same thing. There could be other culprits but since you're a fellow Canadian and ALBERTAN that is my best guess.

Does your hi-beam indicator light on the dash stay on too? If so then I can guarantee this is the issue.

The control module should be behind the battery (if looking from the front), it's a 3"x3" black box screwed to the wheel well. You can just unplug it but you won't have daytime running lights or a hi-beam indicator light anymore. You can get one from any cherokee in the junk yard.

Hopefully this helps.

never thought of that puppy

will have a look and let you know

many thanks

a really lost newbie

TOFIC

the gentlemen from the frozen north wins the golden cookie!!!

it was the daytime running light module.

took it off and the gooey sloppy oozzing mess showed the module had cooked off.

many thanks to all for the help!!!

TOFIC